Monday, July 29, 2013

the day I turned everything good bad

Another weekend has come and gone. It was aight, but nothing really to write home about.

I got a little drunk Friday night, watched Identity Thief and got an oil change on Saturday, and spent some QT at the pool on Sunday.

On Saturday in addition to spending some cashola at the local Mr. Tire, Jose and I decided to go for a bike ride.

What a healthy and wholesome thing to do you might be thinking. Wrong. We ruined it all by getting lunch mid bike ride at the new barbecue joint in town. I went with the smoked turkey and green beans. That might not sound so bad except for the fact that I slathered said turkey with all kinds of sauce and the green beans were made extra delicious with the addition of bacon.

Later that night I decided to continue on in that vein and made a few more healthy things not so healthy when I turned cauliflower and carrots into chicken wings and fries.

And here my friends is that recipe.



Buffalo Cauliflower and Carrot Fries

You Will Need:

1 head of cauliflower
4 carrots
Olive oil
1 cup flour
1 cup water
Franks red hot sauce
Garlic and onion powder
Butter
Greek yogurt
Ranch seasonings



Directions for buffalo cauliflower:

-Preheat over to 350.

-Clean the cauliflower and then break it up into bite sized pieces.

-Combine 1 cup flour with 1 cup water in a bowl and whisk until smooth. Stir in a few shakes of garlic and onion powder and a few dashes of Frank's.

-Dip each piece of cauliflower into the mixture and coat completely. Place the coated pieces onto a cookie sheet (spray the sheet with oil...I skipped this and it stuck a bit).

-Bake for 20 minutes.

-While the cauliflower is baking combine a shit ton of the Frank's hot sauce with a little melted butter and stir until well mixed. Pour the mixture over the cauliflower after it has baked 20 min and continue to bake for 5 more minutes.



Directions for ranch dipping sauce:

-Put one small cup of Greek yogurt into a bowl.

-Whisk in ranch seasonings. (I used dill, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and parsley. You could also just use regular ranch (but I always like to make things more difficult for myself).

Directions for carrot fries:

-Peel and slice carrots into thin fry like sticks.

-Lightly coat carrots with olive oil and a bit of salt.

-Bake at 350 until crispy. (20 min or so)



Now I won't lie and say this tastes just like wings and fries but it is still pretty damn good.




Sami's Shenanigans

11 comments:

kathy@vodka and soda said...

actually, that is pretty healthy. you baked both so that cuts half the cals already. and for serious, a little butter doesn't do anything; i have butter daily on my morning brekkie toast.

home made sweet potatoe fries are very healthy; they're low in the GI scale and aren't deep fried to hell so you made some great healthy choices!!

Chloe said...

The unhealthy food gods are scoffing at you right now. But seriously I just can't do cauliflower. I've tried an tried. No dice.

Miss Riss said...

Totally gonna have to try this. Reminds me of when I count pizza as being healthy if I get it with veggies on top. It works, right?!

Kerry @ Till Then Smile Often said...

I could totally handle with Almond or coconut flour instead of regular white flour, but it looks yummy!

Carly @ The Pinot Project said...

Dear god that cauliflower looks delicious. I think you could put Frank's on anything and it would be amazing.

Katie said...

i make this cauliflower without the flour step and it is still good! def want to try the flour part though

SMD @ lifeaccordingtosteph said...

I made that cauliflower a few weeks ago, but without adding the Frank's to the flour mixture and only adding it at the end. It was delicious.

It's really not bad for you either.

Anonymous said...

i've never seen cauliflower look so good. this just might just ruin my vending machine diet...

:)

Julie @ A Simply Sweet Blog said...

Love franks. And ranch. Will definitely have to try that cauliflower. Thanks for sharing!

Tiffany Khyla said...

Buffalo cauliflower? What? Looks healthy and delicious.

shannon said...

i know we've talked about this before but really for real you need to adopt me and cook for me all the time and feed me bottles that have booze in them (ok maybe we didn't talk about that last part).