Friday, July 26, 2013

a different kind of fan

I am gonna be real honest with you here...I am not a sports fan.

I was super uncoordinated in high school but wanted to be part of a team so I had to run track and cross country. No one chooses to run as their sport, it is because you are too blonde to kick a ball while you are doing it.

The fact that I do not particularly like/understand sports does not hold me back however. In fact I am an excellent companion at any sporting event...unless you actually want to watch the game. 

So today I am going to share with you a few quick ways to enjoy games without actually watching them. It is going to be real short and sweet like my attention span because I have got a meeting to get to.



1. Dress the part. Just because you can't name a single stat and only know the names of the players you want to bang, does not mean you can't show some team spirit. I love to bust out my Tigers and Michigan State gear despite knowing zilch about the teams. Also keep in mind Victoria's Secret now carries adorable team clothing, or you can always leave your seat and shop for some cute apparel in the stadium. The prices are a little high for my liking, but once in a while when manfriend is drunk enough he will give me some walking around money during a game.




2. Tattoo your face. Always, always tattoo your face. Because let's be honest here, everyone looks goddamn adorable with a logo on their check. Apply said tattoo before you start drinking though, or it may wind up ass backwards. I may or may not be speaking from experience here.



3. The most fool proof way to enjoy a sporting event is to get shitfaced. This is my go to at any game I am not particularly interested in. Now this rule does not apply for baseball (at least for me). When it comes to baseball, there is a small window between sobriety and wastedness where I genuinely enjoy and can sit still for an entire 9 innings. See also: tipsy. If I get drunk all bets are off and I wander the stadium, if sober I will fall asleep...it is an art form really. When it comes to basketball, hockey and football the best option is to get sloshed...it will cost you a pretty penny if you opt for the stadium bars, but it is money well spent if you ask me.
4. Make friends. Any mediocre situation can transform into awesomesauce if you meet some cool peeps. I like to wander the halls and talk to everyone. I do the same in my seat. I also happen to have a manfriend who everyone in the world loves and wants to be bffs with so that helps out too. The cuties pictured above on the right are my sweet niece Evie and her best friend Cam. Your welcome for that little slice of adorable.

5. Lastly, if you simply cannot get on the wagon of the usual suspects, (baseball, football, hockey, basketball) simply find sports you love and just run with that. I for example much prefer beer pong and tubing to football so I spend my free time perfecting those crafts not punting balls. (that sounds so dirty and I like it).

And because no sporting event is complete without a little Jock Jams...here you go.


Venus Trapped in Mars


21 comments:

Erica said...

Football games will be tricky from now on.

The No Fun League (NFL. I watch sports so I know these things) has changed their bag policy.

Boys and girls alike can bring in clutches or clear bags. Put your tampons on display for the whole city to see!

No, thanks. I will instead watch the games in a venue where I can keep the contents of my bag a secret (until I drunkenly spill it on the floor) and pay a reasonable amount for a beer.

The More You Know

Katie said...

ugh so true about tattoo your face. everyone will love you if youre wearing their mascot on your cheek.

Venus Trapped In Mars said...

Can't watch football in person without a face tattoo. I just can't. I feel NAKED. I also feel quite naked without a drink in my hand.

Adriana from Glitter & Sarcasm said...

haha this is what i do! wear cute outfits and drink!

Stephanie said...

Amen! Face tattoos and drinking too much are the definition of what it means to be an Iowa fan. Nothing wrong with that!
I chose track for the same reason...

Kerry @ Till Then Smile Often said...

Haha! This is awesome! There is a fine line between sober and shit-faced! It is a skill to master for sure.

Yammering Yankee said...

Hahahah loved this! I am very good at number three.

Miss Riss said...

Go Spartans!

Morgan Sparks said...

haha I laughed the whole way through this! Sports fan or not, you must always dress the part, wear a tattoo, and most importantly, drink until you pass out.

Steph G said...

I love me some jock jams and face tattoos... until they don't come off for 2 days, then it's a little less cool.

Anonymous said...

Teach me your ways. :)

Unknown said...

Well butter my butt and call me a biscuit we do all the same things. lets get face tattoos and drink into oblivion together. oh thats right you live across the country.

kathy@vodka and soda said...

i can only sit through sporting events (except hockey) getting drunk. the last time i was invited to a free game, i was told that we weren't allowed to drink so i declined. where's the fun in that?!

Tami said...

This is the best post I've read all day. If I come to a game with you, will manfriend give us both an allowance to walk around and buy beers and ugly team jerseys?

Rachel said...

I know nothing about sports except Nascar..soooo..I have to be hammered to watch any of them.

Tiffany Khyla said...

This is perfect! The only sport I can watch sober is football, and that's only when I have a team to root for (which is pretty much just my school's football team and they're not amazing). Now I know exactly what to do to get through the rest of the sports. TUBING IS THE BEST SPORT EVER!

Eloise August said...

Love this post. I could not agree more. I know nothing about sports, but give me some booze and some team colors to rock and I can cheer with the best of them. I just cheer when everyone else cheers, foolproof!

Beer pong and tubing! Haha!

Julie @ A Simply Sweet Blog said...

The only sport I pay attention to is UNC basketball although with the way they played last year I had to resort to drinking to even make it through those games, too! And I only watch football for the free beer & food. And dressing the part is the best - even my dogs bust out their jerseys when it's game time!

Heidi said...

We are in the same boat when it comes to sports! I just want to socialize, drink and take some pics. Ohhhh, there's a game going on? What?

Chloe said...

I'll drink and run around with you. We can buy stuff that costs too much money together.

shannon said...

so i think the reason you don't like sports is because you aren't a fan of america's team - THE MOTHERFUCKING PACKERS.

come drink and play and watch the games with me.