Friday, March 22, 2013

why I decided to adopt

Well kiddies, today is Friday and that is a good thing.  Another good thing, for my family at least, is that yesterday my sister had her second baby.  Little Arthur John was born just after midnight on March 21.  It is really some bullshit if you ask me because if he had been born about twenty minutes sooner I would have won a bunch of money from the baby pool.  I won't blame little Artie though, it's my sister's fault.  I really can't wait to meet this little dude.  I have seen three pictures so far (my sister really needs to step it up with the photos) and he is cute as can be.  I am not one to think a newborn is cute, so trust me he is.  My niece Evie was a little pissed because she was really hoping for a sister.  I talked to her on the phone last night and she was coping pretty well by eating her feelings in dinosaur shaped chicken nuggets.  I feel this new baby is a perfect reason for me to get a little more serious than I typically do on this blog and talk about my own decision regarding having children. 

At some point in every woman's life she needs to make the decision of whether she wants to have children or not.  I thought about this long and hard and decided I definitely wanted to be a mother. 

I did not however want to be pregnant.

The thought of carrying a child reminds me a bit of an alien abduction, and I also cannot begin to imagine going 9 months without the gentle touch of alcohol on my throat.  I don't think I could make it more than a month to be honest.

There was always the option of surrogacy.  I considered it, but then realized even without having to deal with the issue of pregnancy, surrogacy was not the answer for me.  With surrogacy it is possible you will have children that are bad or annoying.  There is no way to guarantee the child will be mute and adorable at all times. There is also the issue of diapers and paying for college.

After weighing all my options I decided adoption was the only way to go for me.  That way I could hand select my child, ensuring it was not ugly.  I could still raise it as I saw fit because I would get the child as a baby. 

I decided on this little gem and I have not looked back since. 


He is the best son a mother could ask for.  I love that I can leave him home alone when I want to go out and he poops outside not in his pants.  I love that he doesn't need a car seat, and I will be able to afford a vacation home one day instead of sending him to college.



Sure, he can be a little sassy from time to time but what kid isn't??  At least mine won't get arrested for shoplifting, or color on my walls.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

God I love this!!! SO true! I feel the exact same way without a doubt.