Friday, March 8, 2013

Oooops I did it again

I have this rule about not drinking at work....yesterday I broke that rule.

I am an event planner for a museum, I am also younger than most of my colleagues by about 20 years.  When I first started many of my co-workers did not think I was capable of the job due to my age.  I may or may not have ruffled a feather or two.  As an event planner there are MANY opportunities to drink on the job.  I have a rule of never having more than one drink in a professional setting.  (I did not always have this rule and there are certainly exceptions to it).

My reasons for not drinking at my current job are:

-I get pretty wild when I am drunk and I am not sure some of the oldies can handle it.
-My boss is a teetotaler.  I am his favorite and want things to stay that way.
-A few people still don't exactly love me at work, I don't want to give them the upper hand.
-and lastly, I am not that great at having just a few drinks!

I am pretty laid back in my personal life.  I consider myself a free spirit and go with the flow most of the time.  Professionally however, I am a shark!! I want to one day have employees and I want them to fear me (In a good way).  I don't F**k around when it comes to my job.  I am not living in po dunk USA for my health, it is all in the name of my career...for those reasons I keep it sober in the office.

Yesterday afternoon I had an off site meeting with someone who works for the county.  We were discussing an event I am planning.  She suggested we meet at a local restaurant.  This woman is not a co-worker, but is definitely a professional acquaintance.  We sit down, she orders a glass of wine.  Obviously I don't want her to drink alone so I do too.  I haven't been drunk in over a week, so naturally that wine tasted mighty fine.  We both had a few more.  We both got toasted.  I forgot my cell phone in the restaurant and had to go back in to get it.  I hugged her when we parted ways (we are not friends, not sure why I went in for the hug)  I had to take a walk and get some coffee before I could drive home.

Luckily she got as drunk as I did, but what a silly goose I am, why can't I say no to you wine! We got a few things accomplished at the meeting and thank god I took notes, otherwise not sure it would have been too productive.

Do other people have rules about drinking at work?? Shit, I have some stories from my first job before I had this mentality...but I can't give away all my secrets.  Plus Jose would definitely dump me if he knew some of my shenanigans.

oh yeah, happy Friday.

1 comment:

Southern Sass said...

Haha I don't blame you! Why just stop at one? I either have to avoid drinking all together or keep going. That was sweet of you not to let her drink alone though!