Tuesday, March 5, 2013

What's in a Name

Do you ever find yourself thinking what the hell was someone thinking when it comes to a business name??

I would love to one day own a slice of the business pie....  I will certainly be very careful when it comes to choosing a name however.  Especially since I judge others so harshly.

Today at work I was sending out some mail to local day care centers.  Most had names like "Happy Faces", "Little Learners", "Miss Amy's", shit like that.  There was one that really stuck out in my mind however, "Little Beavers Daycare Center".  WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING??

I don't care how much you love the animal, we all know what comes to every one's mind when they hear the word beaver.  In fact if I were a beaver I would start a petition to change our name to something like wood eater...oh wait that's bad too.  Maybe small big toothed dog, or anything other than beaver.  I remember when my little sis and I learned what a beaver really was (a vagina in case you live under a rock) we laughed for days.  Literally days, we thought vaginas were pretty funny back in the day.  Honestly if you listen to Joan Rivers on Fashion Police they still are pretty funny. 

But I really think naming your daycare "Little Beavers" sounds like a fast way to wind up on the sex offender registry.  I certainly wouldn't send Fred to daycare there....his daycare has a totally normal name, "Downtown Pet Resort".  Yes, my dog has a daycare.  Judge away, I would.

Another terrible fu*king name I know of is a little place very close to my heart.  It was once a Dairy Queen where I had my first job, first whippet, and a few other firsts.  It went out of business (probably because of all the free cones my friends and I gave out) and was bought out by a new owner.  She chose to rename this piece of my personal history, "Lori's Lick Um Up" .

That name to me is more closely related to beavers than ice cream.  I would have gone with "Lori's Ice Cream Parlor" or maybe "Dairy Girl"  certainly not "Lori's Lick Um Up".

If you are thinking of opening a business and want my sick mind's opinion on the matter feel free to drop me a line.  I will be happy to help and/or judge you.

No comments: