Monday, April 22, 2013

The one day weekend

I have a pretty great job.  For some reason about five years ago someone decided to take a chance on an unknown kid, and gave me a job as an event planner.  It is crazy to think that someone pays me to organize shit and boss people around.  Those are skills I have excelled at since childhood, just ask my sister, I am as bossy as they come. 

There are not many things about event planning I don't like.  I love the chaos, the fact that after a lot of hard work I get to see the results the day of, I love organizing (especially using post its and colorful folders), and mostly I enjoy interacting with people.  Even the ones who drive me nuts.  Another good thing, is a lot of said events involve alcohol....I never have more than one, but sometimes it is pretty kick ass to be able to have a drink during work.  Right now I plan events for a history museum and it is pretty awesome watching kids and families have a blast at a program I put on.  My first event of the year was Saturday.

Everything went well, but I was reminded of the downside of my job....working on the weekend.  Not every weekend, but quite a handful of them this lucky lady gets to spend at least one of her days at work.  That is not ideal.  I live for the weekend.  Waking up at 6 on Saturday is a sin if you ask me.  I prefer to go to bed at that time.  Also, Fred does not understand if I worked on Saturday, I sure as hell plan to sleep in on Sunday.  He instead lays all 100 pounds of himself on me until I wake up.


I am a good mom, so I get up and take him to the park.  When we get back and I am ready to enjoy the day after being rudely awakened, he is suddenly exhausted.  Kids, you can't win with them.

The worst part about the one day weekend is on Sunday when you go to bed it feels like Saturday and you get excited thinking you have another whole day to do whatever you please, then you remember you have to wake up bright and early and head back to work.  I get to work this coming Saturday too.  Ohh welll, I will have to make up for it the following weekend.  What did you trouble makers get in to this weekend?


3 comments:

Helene said...

ohh that does sound hard! but at least there are so many great things about your job!

kathy @ vodka and soda said...

my friend is an event planner and she loves it too! it's just pretty hard in terms of the schedule that you sometimes have to keep but it's all worth it.

and your pup is adorbs!

Unknown said...

I think that job would be so fun! As long as I didn't have to work weekends, holidays or in the summer :) But for reals, I think it would be so fun to plan parties!