Friday, April 12, 2013

Just an old fashioned love song

I see so many bloggers posting about their beautiful love story.  How they met in some romantic way, he swept her off her feet, then they got married, and Jesus sang a song at their wedding while doves flew by.  I kid, but I seriously love reading that shit.  I am a romantic sap despite all my attempts not to be.

I wanted to share with you my own touching story of romance and delight, so you can know a little more about manfriend and I.


After I finished grad school, I quit my full time job to take an unpaid internship, like any reasonable person might.  In order to support my serious alcohol addiction and credit card bills, I needed a part time job so I went back to my old standby and got a gig as a bartender.  I have bartended/waitressed on and off for over 8 years.  I love it.

The bar I worked at was a brewery with a ton of regulars, this was back in Michigan by the way.  All the regulars were BFF's and they would always talk about this guy Jose.  I had never met him because he was working in Toledo when I started at the pub.  I heard about how he was a wild child and people would go on and on about him.

I finally met him when he finished the job in Toledo and showed up at the bar on a Monday morning.  He ordered a coffee and was having a really rough day because of his massive hangover and the fact that he could not find his car to save his life.  I instantly knew we would be friends.

He started coming up to the bar from time to time and we got to know each other a little better.  One afternoon when I had just finished the day shift he offered to buy me a beer so I stuck around on the other side of the bar.  We had a few drinks then I asked him if he wanted to meet up with a friend of mine at another bar.  We went.  We both fell that night...not in love, but me in the middle of the bar when I slipped on my flip flop and he off a bar stool.  We aren't clumsy just real wasted...don't judge.

We hung out a few more times, once or twice we even ate instead of drank.  I started going to parties at his house, and eventually we got drunk enough to make out.  Somehow he wound up living in my apartment across the country with me.  Oh yeah I convinced him to get a dog along the way too...it's all kind of a blur really.

3 comments:

kathy @ vodka and soda said...

how sweet. i like hearing stories like that too.

and i met my now husband at a rave!! lol

Stephanie said...

slipped on your flip flop, I love it. Yay for real life love stories!

Allison Seyler said...

Cute cute!

Ryan and I live down the hall from each other and he knew me as "that tall blonde chick." We got introduced, went out, got sloshed, the next week he asked me to be his gf, and the rest is history...and also a blur... :)