Tuesday, June 18, 2013

another recipe....you're welcome.

Today I actually got up at 5:30am to go to yoga class...you read that right: am. I have the intention of doing this every Tuesday and Wednesday but this is only the third time it has actually happened.

I am proud as punch. I am also proud that I successfully made falafel for the first time last night.

One of the downsides to living in the boondocks (at least it is a downside if you are are chow hound like me) is a lack of good restaurants. There are very few ethnic restaurants in these parts. Like only 3...that's not a lot.

I happen to be a big fan of middle-Eastern food and there is certainly none of that around here...not even in the grocery stores. So like any good Food Network addict would do, I decided to take matters into my own hands.



I present to you my falafel recipe:

You will need:
-1 Can of garbanzo beans (or chick peas if that's how you roll)
-3 cloves garlic
-1/4 cup of onion
-1 tbsp. olive oil
-1 tsp. cayenne pepper
-2 tbsp. fresh parsley
-2 tsp. cumin
-some salt

for the cucumber sauce (it is a must)
-1 small Greek yogurt cup
-1/4 cup of diced cucumber
-2 cloves garlic
-some salt n' peppa



Directions

Falafel patties:

1. Pre-heat oven to 425.
2. Drain and rinse garbanzos and add them to a food processor (I use the Ninja because it is sexy).
3. Chop garlic and onion and add to the possessor with your cumin, salt, parsley, cayenne, and 1 tbsp. of the olive oil.
4. Blend that shit up. You want it to be a bit chunky but blended enough to form into patties.
5. Form it into patties and put it on a cookie sheet. Do not line that cookie sheet with foil like I did...that was not a wise decision. Drizzle (or brush) the patties with the remaining olive oil.
6. Bake patties for 20 minutes, flip them and bake for 20 more minutes.



Sauce:

1. Put one cup of Greek yogurt into a mixing bowl.
2. Chop some cucumber (I don't really know how much...I would guess about 1/4 cup) and 2 cloves of garlic very fine.
3. Add cucumber, garlic, and salt and pepper to the yogurt. Mix it up.
4. Put it in the fridge to cool.


I served my falafel with wheat pita, lettuce, and some grape leaves (I wish I could say they were homemade, but I will give Whole Foods the credit for those delicious little devils).

I will be honest, the falafel wasn't as good as some of the deep fried varieties I have had in my day, but it was probably a bit healthier and it was really good.


11 comments:

Chelsee W said...

You are getting so healthy these days lol If I asked for middle eastern food here they would like at me like I've lost it. lol

Yammering Yankee said...

Yumm! I love greek food and haven't been able to find a decent greek reseraunt down here. I am def going to try this!

Savannah said...

This sounds so good! I haven't thought of making a falafel but I love to make new recipes! I'm going to have to try this out

Erin LFF said...

Well, I'm officially hungry now. That all sounds delish!

And seriously - teach me how to actually wake up and go work out in the mornings. I set my alarm every day and it just never happens.

Anonymous said...

This looks delish! I am totally making these this weekend!!
P.S. I would love for you to join in on tomorrows What I Wore Wednesday link up! stop by the blog to check out the easy rules! Hope to see you there!

Carly @ The Pinot Project said...

Yum! I am kind of afraid of making anything ethnic at home as I worry I will screw it up.

Heidi said...

I love middle eastern and also Asian food so much it's sick! You would think I lived there in some part of my life! Way to go on the early yoga class!

Unknown said...

This sounds yummy! I have always been a little scared to try to make "ethnic food" that is not Mexican, but this seems doable. Thanks for sharing!

Davenport Spud said...

I had chile dogs with some Caldeons just yesterday.

Unfortunately the lunch was interrupted several times because they kept running to the bathroom to shave again.

They mocked my Ford Fusion as they zipped off in there Beemers, but overall it was a little bit of magic.

Don't you miss the "D"?

Davenport Spud said...

You know for a long time I thought ethnic cuisine was a small limo driven by a foreign guy. You've opened my eyes to so much blog girl.

shannon said...

how do i not live with you!??????@?~! i'd make you cook for me all the damn time.