Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Ways to not hate your significant other

I am the first to admit I have never been a relationship person. Before Jose most of my relationships were short lived. Sometimes I would get dumped, but mostly I would just get bored or start finding too many flaws in the lucky bastard I was dating. I mean, come on I am a catch you had to set up your game or I would kick you to the curb....Just kidding, kind of.

Jose and I started out as acquaintances and one day got drunk enough to become a couple. We kept it casual for a long time, but eventually he convinced me to change my Facebook status. Maybe it is because I am older and wiser, or maybe because he buys me a lot of stuff...but I no longer miss being single. There was a transition period to the couple life, but we have a dog together now for God sakes.

I am not saying we have the perfect relationship. We have our issues and fights just like anyone, but after living together for two years and dating for three, we still like each other.

So for the good of mankind and whatever it's worth, I have decided to share some tips for a semi-successful relationship.

1.) Don't be a dick. There are many times when I could really say something snotty to Jose when he irritates me. I was once the Queen of the little dig, but guess what?? It is just mean and it won't make you feel any better. Most likely it will start a fight. If you have the urge to say something crummy just resist whenever possible.

2.) Let things go. There are several house cleaning related items that Jose and I do not see eye to eye on. Such as the fact that I enjoy living in a clean house, and he doesn't realize things like floors and bathtubs need to be cleaned. He likes leaving things out and I prefer to have my tables and counters looking styled because I spend too much time on Pinterest. Instead of constantly fighting about it, I usually just let it go. Sometimes I ask him to pick up his mess or clean the bathroom but for the most part I just recognize this is who he is. There are lots of things he does for me that make up for his lack of cleanliness. And in the long run are a pair of glasses or set of keys on the table worth a fight? Probably not.

3.) Do nice things for each other. This sounds like a no brainer, but after you live with someone for a long time it can get a bit too routine. Sure you are nice in terms of not kicking them in the shin or berating each other, but do you do random kind things for one another? Jose brings me flowers quite regularly, I surprise him with coke in glass bottles when I find it, he buys me a nice bottle of wine once in a while when he is at the beer store, I bring him home my leftovers....shit like that. Little things.


4.) Go out on dates. It can be pretty easy to get bored of your man or woman friend if all you do is sit home and watch TV. Plus Jose only watches lame shit like sports whereas I prefer HGTV, the Food Network, and anything with Housewife in the title. We go out a lot. Whether it is to have a nice dinner, see a movie, go on a hike, sit by the beach, hang out at the pool, or go to a bar...we go out. So many couples I meet don't make dates enough of a priority in my opinion. Yes, we spend a lot of money on entertaining ourselves, but we also don't hate each other.

5.) Make things that are important to both of you a priority. If you love to travel like we do, make that something you both save money for and both take time off work for. We used to talk a lot about going places but never went. Now if we want to take a trip, we take it....within reason of course we aren't millionaires just yet.

6.) Don't fight about money. It's dumb. Money is a silly thing to fight about. When we first moved in together I was super concerned with making sure everything was 50/50. Now I just let it work itself out. Sometimes I buy stuff, sometimes he does. I know everyone is different with money, but I think we can all agree it isn't worth fighting over. We choose to be laid back about it, if a plan works better for you that's what you should do.



7.) Pretend to care about what the other one is talking about. You absolutely don't really have to care...but you have to pretend. Jose talks about disc golf and his job allllll the time. I could care less, but he would never know it. He does the same for me when I talk about events and marketing, and the dumb shit I watch on TV.

8.) Have your own lives. Don't spend every second with your person. Have your own friends, and hobbies, and interests. It is good for you, trust me on this one.

9.) Laugh a lot. We make fun of each other and ourselves all the time. It keeps things light and fun, plus laughing burns calories I hear.



10.) Don't talk too much shit about your boyfriend, girlfriend, husband, or wife to your friends and family. Of course you need to vent from time to time but if you completely rake them over the coals every time they piss you off just the slightest bit you will either; look like a total jerk for staying with them, or make all your friends and family hate him/her. Sometimes when you are mad at someone sharing all the details with everyone you know is the worst thing you can do....emotions are a lot stronger when something is fresh so make sure what you say is something you honestly feel. Or better yet, just don't fight....that's the easiest way to avoid this.

12 comments:

kathy @ vodka and soda said...

yes yes and yes. i agree with with the majority of this list, esp the "have your own life". i know so many people who, after getting a boyfriend, suddenly disappear or simply cannot go out without their boyfriend because they will shrivel up and die. it drives me crazy!

however, when kids are involved (and i know you're not there yet) we had to sit down and list out all house chores and kid-rearing tasks and who's taking care of what. at one point, most of it was on me and i was like "um i don't fucking think so, i need help goddammit!" so now everything is split down the middle 50/50 which leaves more free time for all of us because when there are 2 hands cleaning the house, it gets done faster.

Kim Brown said...

I have been married for 5 years and still need a reminder of what to do ('cause I don't)! Great advice- thanks!

Anonymous said...

All great advice! That last piece is prolly the most important, imo. I mean, we're the ones who sleep with them, so we can forgive anything knowing (1) we live with them and (2) they're pretty good in bed. Our family and friends don't do/ know either of those things... I hope. So, they don't have a big glorious orgasm that gets them over the fact that said husband/ boyfriend/ dude did something naughty or didn't roll the toothpaste from the bottom. :)

Heidi said...

Love this post!
Pretend to care what the other one is talking about - GUILTY ova hur! I cannot stand to talk about sports except for one or two teams.

Buy shit for each other. YES!

Stephanie said...

haha I like my tables clear and styled too, damnit pinterest. I need to learn to be nicer, I'm just so good at the little digs though I hate to let them pass me by. I'm so witty, I can't help it.

Unknown said...

I love you its like you are my other half.

Helene said...

haha omg i love this. very much. i have the hardest time ever letting things go. it's just not something i can do. i need to work on that. ughhh

Unknown said...

AMEN! I would like to bold and make #8 & #10 super large. I feel those are the most important ones on here. I try to make sure I tell my friends/family the good things my husband does. Too often most women are quick to complain about partners.

Davenport Spud said...

OMG that's so true... your words are like the glue of relationships. You're the plastic squeeze bottle with the crusty shit on the nozzle. You've reinforced my bond to the construction paper of marriage. All these years I just thought your mom was a mean spirited crustacean. now i know she's just a ball buster that needs love.

Get out of relationship advice you ass.. Stick to alcohol and bad descisions, where your expertice isn't in question.

You should realise that I am proof that a kind and loveing father can live in a death camp and still be told how lucky he is.. And gazeing through an alcoholic fog mutter in slurred baritone "I guess it could be worse."

Erin said...

Dad, the Davenport Spud name is really odd. Like odd even for you.

shannon said...

UMMMMMMMMMMM - i'm the queen of ignoring things. that's my way of handling all issues.

Anonymous said...

view publisher site valium good anxiety - valium bluelight