Friday, January 31, 2014

I'm starting to loose it a little

So I live in the middle of nowhere.

I mean it. Like I pass cows and horses and shit on my way to work. There are less people in my town then I think went to my high school.

It's quite the change of pace for someone who started hanging out at seedy bars in Detroit when they were 17.

I try to make the best out of life always. And for the most part I am a really happy camper.

But some days being stuck in the country really gets to me.

I should note, I know I am not really "stuck" I could pack up and move at anytime to any where, but I won't do that until I find the right job or reason. My life is here right now and that is ok, but I am still going to bitch about it.



I can't stand the lack of good food. Ya'll know I love to eat. Like a lot. We have the poorest excuse for restaurants in my neck of the woods. All chains. I am a chain snob and hate eating in them, but that is essentially all we have so I find myself eating at the same few mediocre non-chains because it is my only option.

You wold probably recommend I just cook at home instead of settling for crappy restaurants, but you should also note how much our grocery stores suck. They suck bad. It is shocking to me because there are farms everywhere!! Where does the food go?? In the summer I can hit up the farmer's markets, but even those only offer a few of the veggies my little hippie diet needs. You would not beleive how excited I get when I see a Trader Joes or Whole Foods...it's a little sad actually. It's a hard knock life for a chow hound in the sticks.

We have the world's worst movie theatre. I love to go to the movies. No kidding back in Michigan I probably went every other week. Not here. No way Jose, the theatre we have is downright disgusting and only has four screens. Two of those screens always have kid's movies playing so most of the films I want to see are never even an option. And any kind of an art film, you must be kidding! That would never happen. Back in Detroit I can think of about three theatres that exclusively played art/foreign films within 20 minutes of each other.

Shopping is another hard pill to swallow. I am not even a huge shopper, but there are many occasions where I find myself really needing a mall or some little cute shops. Case in point, I needed a suit for a work conference recently. Well the "local" mall is an hour and five minutes away from my house. That's right folks 65 minutes. That's a whole lot if you ask me. So I had to buy a suit at J.C. Penny. Nothing wrong with JCP, I just would have really liked to have been able to choose from more than two middle aged mom suits. This is always an issue when I find myself needing a gift for someone. I like to give thoughtful gifts. Think handmade jewelry, art, unique food items, stuff like that. Well they don't carry that shit at Kohl's and Walmart so I find myself out of luck unless I want to make the 1.5 hour trek into DC. I know I can shop online, but it is not the same for me. I like to go into a store and interact with someone, it's fun to me. I find myself settling a lot for the things I buy, and I don't like it.

I feel like I am constantly in my car too, since I miss the city so much manfriend and I take about 45924 trips a year. Anytime we need to do any shopping or anything it is always a really long drive and even when we aren't racking up the miles on my little Scion with getaways we do a lot of day trips just to stay sane. What I wouldn't give to just stay put once in awhile and walk around my own town getting great food and shopping and whatnot.

Lastly, we have shit in the way of bars. I am a bar star. So are my parents and they are in their late 50s so I don't see this changing anytime soon. I meet a lot of people that say they love to just stay in on the weekends and maybe have a drink with their neighbors. Well, not me. Come Friday night all I want to do is plop my happy ass down on a bar stool and make a fool of myself while spending all my money. It's what I do. And we have approximately zero good bars. We had one great little dive and it shut down. Don't even think we have any trendy martini bars or anything like that, no sir. I would honestly be content with a few good hole in the walls, and even that isn't an option. We have a Buffalo Wild Wings. Gag.

Sorry to be a little on the depressing side today kids, I just felt like spilling the beans a little. I am going to keep on making the best of things though, and when I can't I'll just get drunk instead...but not at a bar.

12 comments:

Kathy@MoreCoffeeLessTalky said...

soooo......mosey to toronto where shit is happening all day errday! :D then we can run trails and eat and run some more to burn off what we ate.

kathy
Vodka and Soda

Tracie Everyday said...

dude! At least you have your man friend and Fred to keep you company!

SMD @ lifeaccordingtosteph said...

So, what led you guys to the land of chain restaurants, no bars, and no shops? Jobs or just a wild hair up your ass for somewhere different?

Morgan Sparks said...

I'm getting anxiety just reading this... I'm a chain snob too. I hate them, but Steven ALWAYS recommends date night at one of them. NO.

Jordan said...

I loveeeee dive bars. I am so one of those people who really doesn't go out anymore but when and if I feel like getting hammered, you find me at a local hole in the wall shooting darts with a bucket of Dos XX. Damn that sounds good right now.

Kerry @ Till Then Smile Often said...

I think a move is in order, girl! I love my city in that there is so much shopping, a mall and theater within 10 minutes from my house. We have a Trader Joe's, and Whole Foods all close together.

Stephanie said...

This whole list makes me shudder! I'm such a city girl, I'd never survive.

Amanda - Voyage of the MeeMee said...

I lived in the country up until a few years ago. I loved it... but, I don't think I could ever go back. It sucked not being able to just up and go meet people for a drink, movie, etc. It always took at least 1/2 an hr to get somewhere!

Heidi said...

I think I would lose it too. My husband is from the country and I love visiting the area for a day or three, tops. Then I'm done and NEED city life and good food. Y'all should open a bar!!! But of course, don't work there, just drink there after hours.

Sarah said...

I grew up in a small town (in Missouri, but it sounds exactly the same!) My sister moved back but I just don't think I could handle it...for all the reasons you mentioned.

Kristin O said...

Girl i agree!! And I've lived here my whole life!! I just wish i could "stop at a Target on the way home" or "run by TJ Maxx this afternoon". There is none of that. I have to plan a shopping trip if I want to go there. At the same time I love living away from the hustle and bustle, but maybe the closest hustle and bustle areas could have a little more to offer!!

Kim Brown said...

I hear you (although where I am prob isn't as bad- it's only 20 min. to the mall)! At least it helps with the budget to not really want to go out to eat anywhere.