Thursday, January 16, 2014

shit I ate in NOLA

You want to know what was amazing about New Orleans other than everything?

The food, that's what.

If there are two things I love putting in my mouth it's hot sauce and seafood and NOLA had me covered.

I figured I would tell you guys about some of the restaurants I chowed down at in case you take my advice and plan a trip there anytime soon.

Also, because after the copious amounts of booze I took in during our visit I won't be eating for several weeks and I want to relive the glorious food through blogging....yum.

So without further ado, here are some can't miss joints in the Big Easy.


I love drinking on the street...I feel so naughty.

Evangeline- This was our first stop in NOLA. A cute little bar that was right near our hotel on Decatur Street. It was casual but a little classier than your average bar. The service was great and the catfish jambalaya was really good. Manfriend got down on the shrimp and grits and it was pretty good, but I think mine are better.

Cafe Beignet- We went to the carry out version of this famous cafe because it is situated in a gorgeous courtyard on Bourbon Street with live music going at all times. We did not try beignets, because I prefer my calories come from booze and am not much of a fried food gal, but we did have a bowl of gumbo here and it was pretty good. Nothing to write home about, but the ambiance could not be beat and the prices were cheap.

Carousel Bar- We did not eat here, but we did get a kick ass bloody mary. This bar is located in the beautiful Hotel Monteleone and guess what?? It friggen spins! Just like a real GD carousel. It was honestly a little much for me and we only lasted two rotations and one bloody, but it is definitely a must check out, because it is just so crazy.


Grapevine- Hands down the beast eats of our trip were had at this romantic little wine bar. I made best pals with an old man named Harrison at approximately 4am Friday night at a little bar called the Turtle and he insisted this was the best restaurant in town. I think he was right. Manfriend and I enjoyed three small plates in lieu of entrees and I am so glad we did. I had a nice glass of red to start and we ordered the bacon wrapped scallops with wild rice, mussels topped with crab, and Angus steak bites. It was all heavenly. Perfect date spot.
 
Kingfish- Sunday night we decided to drink our dinner instead of eating it, but we did save a little room to try an appetizer here. I can't recall the name of the dish seeing as I mainly drank dinner but it was a waffle topped with grilled shrimp and it was friggen good. This was one of those spots where everything sounded amazing and I had a real hard time picking an appetizer. We ended up making the bar tender decide for us, and he did us well.

Antoine's- Probably the best bar we randomly stumbled into just so happens to be the second oldest bar in the country. This place is pure class and elegance. Super ornate and gorgeous decor and a friendly staff serving up craft cocktails. I always love a bar where the bartender gives me the left overs of every one's drinks she is mixing and I get to try things I would never order like a gin fizz for example...surprisingly delicious. The coolest part was at one point the bartender told us and the couple seated next to us to grab our drinks and come on the tour. She then showed us around the entire gigantic restaurant and gave us the history as well as dropped names of all the famous folks who have dinned there. So cool.

Cafe Soule- We had a great breakfast with the world's wackiest waitress at this joint. I had the craw fish eggs bennie served on grit cakes and it was so rich and delicious I only was able to tackle half of one. If you know me you know I rarely don't clean my plate, but it was just so much damn food.


 


A dilly green bean makes a bloody even better, just so you know.

The Coffee was pretty amazing and strong everywhere.


 
Not gonna lie, I feel a little fat after writing down all the crap we ate, but in my defense I drank way more than I ate and we did walk about 6 miles a day....


13 comments:

Chloe said...

I need to go love down south. All the good always sounds good.

Kathy@MoreCoffeeLessTalky said...

"If there are two things I love putting in my mouth it's hot sauce and seafood and NOLA had me covered" <-- i was going to say something else but let's not go there haha!

I WANT TO GO TO NOLA SO BAD and put things in my mouth too!

-kathy
Vodka and Soda

Kerry @ Till Then Smile Often said...

I am totally bookmarking this for when I got to New Orleans! The Carousel Bar that spins will be my first stop! ;) I also second what Kathy said, oh so many ways that could have gone!

Morgan Sparks said...

Cafe Beignet = heaven in your mouth. SO amazing!

Amy @The Crazy Wise Woman said...

This has link up written all over it... "If there are two things I love putting in my mouth it's..."
Count me in for that one:)

Seriously, LOVE NOLA and the food there!

Miss Riss said...

Eggs benedict!!! Sea food!!! Mmm my mouth is watering.....

SMD @ lifeaccordingtosteph said...

I order coffee with chicory from New Orleans Cafe du Monde. I love it.

Stephanie said...

Bookmarking this for when I eventually make it to NOLA. Which will happen. One day.

Margaret said...

Girl- yet again you are making me want to go to New Orleans! All this food sounds fantastic!! This season of Top Chef takes place there and everything looks SO GOOD!

Angi Solle said...

I am so hungry now! This trip looks amazing, I am so jealous!

Jordan said...

But the beignets are SO good there! Everything looks delicious. I had the best crawfish etouffee of my whole life while I was there. I still haven't found one that has beat it yet!

Nikki Mitchell said...

NOLA is definitely on my list of places to go. I would like to eat my way around the city!

Amanda - Voyage of the MeeMee said...

Food is definitely one of the best parts about any vacation. Aaaand now I'm starving!