Wednesday, November 27, 2013

GBC

In case you aren't in the know, that stands for Green Bean Casserole. Also known as, my favorite Thanksgiving dish. My mom has been making this shit for years and I will eat the left overs for days.

No lie, back when I lived in the same state as my family my sister and I would bring Tupperware dishes of GBC in the car during our Black Friday adventures. We would eat it to refuel between stores....ahh the memories.

So as much as I love the taste of good old fashion processed as all getup traditional GBC, I do not eat processed foods these days so that leaves me in a bit of a pickle. (note: I do in fact eat gas station food when I'm real wasted, but I am only human after all)

Last year I took action on this problem and created my own version of GBC. It is still packed full of fat and salt, but it is  still far healthier than anything that comes from a can in my opinon, whatever that is worth...keep in mind I have also spent 14 hours of my life watching Hallmark holiday movies in the past three weeks so my sanity is certainly questionable.

I figured, this is a perfect recipe to share with all my little homies before everyone's favorite bird comes out to play on Thursday.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=cbJ8G4Xu2-lSrM&tbnid=UO9FArukudgWkM:&ved=0CAQQjB0&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.browneyedbaker.com%2F2010%2F11%2F18%2Fclassic-green-bean-casserole-recipe%2F&ei=tHmTUvLwLJW0sQS98oGgBw&bvm=bv.56988011,d.cGU&psig=AFQjCNHpWik7meU3GwMHWd0Ai1Y3PPtU4Q&ust=1385483056988161


GBC

You Will Need:

Fresh green beans (a lot of them)
Garlic
Half and half (I use fat free even though it is probably not "Clean")
Onions
Flour
Butter
Mushrooms
Worshteshire sauce
Salt
Pepper
Garlic

Directions:

-Rinse and trim the ends off your green beans. Boil them for a few minutes and them blanch them in cold water to stop them from cooking. You want the beans tender but not mushy, they will cook a bit longer in the oven so don't worry about them being a little crisp. Drain all the water off your beans and dump them into a baking dish....I say the cuter your dish the better the beans will taste.

-Now it is time to get your cream of mushroom sauce working. Melt a small pat of butter in a sauce pan and add in chopped mushrooms and saute until they are soft. Now add in a little tiny bit more butter and a bit of flour...I add my flour in a little bit at a time until it forms a paste with the butter. The actual measurements all depend on how much GBC you are making.

-Now that you have a paste start slowly whisking in your cream. You will probably use about a cup or so once again depending on how much GBC. You want the sauce to be soupy but still a bit thick. I add in garlic, a little salt, pepper, and worchteshier here for flavor.

-Let the sauce cook a few minutes then remove from heat to thicken.

-Pour the sauce over your beans and set them aside.

-Now comes the most important step. The fried onions. We all know those little devils you buy in the store are friggen amazing and I could eat about ten containers of them, but they are full of all kinds of weird shit I just can't put into my body when I'm sober so I am faced with a big predicament here. I have yet to make anything that comes close to being as awesome as those onions so I often skip making them and buy the organic version at Whole Foods to cover my GBC with. You can however make them which I have done a few times. To make them you just slice up some onion into thin strips, dip it into flour, then dip it into milk (buttermilk or cream or whatever...egg might work too), then dip back in the flour again. Then just bake them in the oven for twenty min or so. But like I said, you can get them at Whole Foods too, so the choice is yours.

-Now you want to bake your GBC. Place the casserole into the pre-heated oven (350) covered with foil. Bake for twenty minutes or so, then add your onions. Continue baking 10-15 minutes uncovered or until the onions are golden brown.

You will never look at GBC the same way again, this version tastes about 20 times better than the canned variety, so in other words one of the best things you can put in your mouth.

9 comments:

Amy @The Crazy Wise Woman said...

I did a post on this last week and I must be your skanky trailer park cousin cause everything in my recipe came in a can from Wal-mart! And it was deeee-lish:)

Miss Riss said...

Tuppeware full of GBC to take with you black Friday shopping?? Dang, you aren't playin' are you?! ;)

Amanda - Voyage of the MeeMee said...

Bahahah... gas station food! :) This actually looks REALLY good and I'm normally against people messing with the classics. I may try this. I just may.

Stephanie said...

Oh I need this!!

Kerry @ Till Then Smile Often said...

Oh I love green bean casserole!! Must make this soon! Love that you bring it on your shopping trip! Bwahaha!

Kristie's Blue Jeans said...

I am giving this recipe to my mom to make! I can't stand canned soup, barf! Love that you are watching Hallmark movies too. It makes me feel like I am not alone! Happy Thanksgiving!
~Krista
kristiesbluejeans,blogspot.com

Kim Brown said...

I am so impressed with your commitment to eat clean. I have been trying and threw it ALL out the window this year for T-day. My hippie card has been revoked. (P.S. I started getting into yoga- so +1 hippie card)

Heidi said...

You just saved my life! GBC is my fave too! Doing it clean this year. Wahoo!

Nikki Mitchell said...

I love GBC. I might have to try this recipe!!!