Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Squashfredo


It's pretty much the same thing as Sharknado, but instead I combined fettuccine alfredo with spaghetti squash.

To say it was a delight is a bit of an understatement. The manfriend and I each ate our body weight in this stuff and I don't feel bad about it...well maybe a little, but only a little.

The reason I chose to put my twist on the old classic fettuccine alfredo was that we had some really good parmesan cheese in the fridge and a spaghetti squash laying around, what else was a girl to do.

You should make it too.



Squashfredo


You will need:

Spaghetti Squash
Low Fat Milk (I use coconut milk, the kind in the carton not can, but any milk will do)
A dab of butter
Some good parmesan cheese (not the crap in the green plastic jar, some nice shredded stuff)
A pinch of flour
Garlic
Paprika
Salt and pepper

Directions:

-Cook your squash however you like to do it. Some people use the old microwave, I prefer to slice the bad boy in half and bake it in a dish in the oven with a bit of water for 30 minutes or so at 350.

-Scrape out the seeds of your squash and throw them away. Use a fork to scrape out the meat of the squash and put it in a bowl.

-Set the squash aside to cool a bit and make your sauce.

-In a sauce pan combine a little bit of butter and flour over medium heat...I used about a 1 tablespoon but it depends how much you are making. Stir the butter and flour until it forms a paste, or rue if you will.

-Next slowly whisk in your milk. Once the milk is stirred in lower the heat to just about a simmer and start slowly adding in your cheese, garlic, and seasonings to taste. The salt I used was sea salt flavored with chili peppers but you know I like everything I eat spicy so any old salt will do, or any old spices for that matter.

-Keep whisking as you mix in the cheese, now the more cheese the merrier always, but I honestly didn't use much in an effort to keep the dish somewhat healthy. I probably used around 1/4 cup and that made enough sauce for 3 giant ass servings, but really use as much as you want and it will be good.

-Continue stirring on low heat for a few minutes or so then remove sauce from heat to thicken. Serve over the squash and enjoy that shit.

 

5 comments:

Miss Riss said...

I've always seen the spaghetti squash with tomato sauce (i.e. a 'sphagetti alternative') but I've never seen it with the alfredo, looks so yum!!

jackie jade said...

oh my gosh this sounds so good1 and pretty healthy too. will have to try this.
-- jackie @ jade and oak

Kerry @ Till Then Smile Often said...

I love Spaghetti Squash! Looks yummy!

Amanda - Voyage of the MeeMee said...

Hoooolllleeeeeyyyyy SHIT! I love spaghetti squash!!! SO making this!

Chloe said...

So like I've always wanted to try spaghetti squash. I just can't bring myself to do it. Somebody needs to put it I front of me already prepared and not tell me what it is until I tell them how delicious it is and I eat it all. This does look good.