Tuesday, August 13, 2013

You don't know Oprah???????

Word on the streets is that everyone's home girl Oprah ran into a grade A bitch recently.

Allegedly O was out doing a little shopping when she spotted a purse she liked, asked the clerk to see it, and was informed it was too expensive for her. Like for reals, read about it here

Now this purse cost a cool $38,000. I am no mathematician but I am pretty sure someone who can afford to give a car to 100+ strangers while taping her talk show thinks of that as chump change.

I know Oprah has been out of the spotlight for a few years now but for crying out loud the woman has her own network, how does one not recognize her? Talk about having some egg on your face. I have a feeling that cashier is feeling dumber than those losers in pretty woman who refused to help the lovable hooker Julia Roberts back in the 90s.

Have you ever been treated like a broke ass by a sales person? I sure have. But I guess now it will sound better to say I was treated like Oprah.



For me it happened when I bought my car a few years ago.

To be honest the whole car buying process drove me to drink, because I have no clue about mechanics and the cost of a car was and still is about 10 times the amount I had ever spent on anything in my life. 

I remember looking at various cars online and deciding which was the cutest. I then set a price point in my head, and started to look. I swear to Santa every car salesman in the Metro-Detroit area treated me like a snot nosed kid. Which is cray cray because at the time I bought my car I was not only working a 9-5 but also waitressing 5 nights a week at the Melting Pot. If you have ever dined there you know that shit is expensive so you can imagine I was bringing home a pretty penny in tips. 

The worst experience of all happened at a Dodge dealership, my trusty Grand Am was on her last leg and I was ready to make a deal. The sales guy completely ignored me and get this when I asked to take a test drive said he was too busy at that moment so I would need to make an appointment.


I was pissed. I got in my dying car and drove to my parent's house because that is what a grown ass woman does when she can't stop crying. No matter how old we get, if someone hurts our feelings my dad will kill them. He was fuming when I told him my tragic tale and left the dealership some swear word filled messages. Needless to say they hounded me on the phone with apologies for weeks.

More needless to say I did not purchase a vehicle from those jerks. I wound up finding a car lot with some really nice salesmen who let me test drive whatever I wanted, explained things to me, and I ended up buying a sweet ass Scion for about double what I was planning to spend. Isn't that the way it works with cars though, you have a price in mind and then keep stretching and stretching it...or is that just me? I imagine I will be as irresponsible with my money when I eventually buy a house too. Guess that dealership shouldda been a little nicer to me or they could have swindled me out of all my money like the Scion dudes did. It's called commission boys.

Moral of this story, don't be a dick to people. Just because someone is old, young, black, white, ugly, slutty, or whatever else they are does not mean they are not richer than shit. You don't want to screw yourself out of a sweet little commission sales people, so be nice! This goes for non-sales people as well, you never know what role someone may wind up playing in your life so be nice.

Especially to Oprah.


19 comments:

Venus Trapped In Mars said...

On a related note... did you know that the number one car driven by millionaires is an F150??

I used to train in sales.... NEVER judge someone!!

Venus Trapped In Mars said...

Also, what is in that guys mouth??????

Kathy@MoreCoffeeLessTalky said...

amen to that!

i hate it when i go into a (luxury) store ready to buy but not dressed up and they totally ignore me. what's worse, is that they treat me like crap because they think i'm broke but i'm like: YOU WORK FUCKING RETAIL BITCH,DON'T EVEN BE LOOKING DOWN AT ME WITH YOUR MINIMUM WAGE ASS!

what people don't realize is that those who have money do not dress head-to-toe in labels...not that i'm oozing money but i have enough to spend in that store so they can suck it.

Helene in Between said...

ugh yes i hate when people act like that. it always happens to me when i go to nordstrom. granted im wearing sweat pants but i have a gift card and im going to use it dammit. people suck.

Yammering Yankee said...

Salesmen can be the worst! When I went to buy my new car I took my boss with me (we happen to work in an automotive industry) so that he could negotiate my deal for me because I am too much of a pansy. Once we had reached an agreement I called up my dad to ask him if that was a good deal once I got his seal of approval I signed the papers. Sometimes you just need a Dad to tell ya its all good lol.

Yammering Yankee said...

Salesmen can be the worst! When I went to buy my new car I took my boss with me (we happen to work in an automotive industry) so that he could negotiate my deal for me because I am too much of a pansy. Once we had reached an agreement I called up my dad to ask him if that was a good deal once I got his seal of approval I signed the papers. Sometimes you just need a Dad to tell ya its all good lol.

Tracie Everyday said...

I generally go in nice stores dressed in yoga pants then buy the most expensive thing I can find for fun. Then I later return it because I can't afford that shit noways! LOL, no I joke. I just drool on the window displays.

Karla said...

Preach it girl! Yes! I've been treated like this many many times. It's awful. Kind of glad I'm not alone!

Anonymous said...

I couldn't believe Oprah's story and I can't believe your story! Salesman are assholes at times. I went to the mini cooper delarership before I bought my bug to test drive one and see if I liked it... the sales guy was not having me. He seemed uninterested. Mind you, I was dressed in the clothes I was wearing while I was painting the house earlier that day, but come on... He wanted to run a credit check BEFORE I test drove the vehicle. I didn't let him. I think he didn't like that I wanted to keep my payment the same as I already had, which was low and meant he'd have to haggle too much. He shoulda tried.

I went to VW two weeks later because I was too shocked to go any sooner. I walked in at 5pm and walked out at 630 with a new car. Payments were $90 more a month, though, so I hear you about irresponsible. When I bought my condo, though, I was adamant about the price and wouldn't budge. I think house buying is a little easier than buying a car, personally!

In other situations, I think people are just nice to me because I am so short and always smiling and wind up being surprised that I can actually use my big girl wallet and buy stuff. Haha!

Heidi said...

So what if I don't want to wash my hair to try on your stupid clothes?
Ugh I hate when salespeople act like that.

The best was when I went to Dubai and no one gave a crap. Why yes, I will put all these designer purses on my arms.

Nini Kat said...

Wow that's hilarious. I hope that jerk clerk lost out on commission for being a dbag. Now that you mention it, when going car shopping I was very surprised at how nice the salesman were. They weren't pushy and slimy at all. It's probably because they didn't take me seriously!

Margaret said...

Salesmen suck. I'm that girl who definitely went with my parents when I bought my first car even though I was 24!

But even now- I take my husband with me when I have to make a large purchase because I'm one to give in to a salesperson, even when I know I shouldnt!

Kaitlin said...

Ughgh that's the worst. I'm glad you ended up finding a good place. I always get that crap from utility guys - the other day the gas guy was like "your boyfriend will explain it to you" and I was like... die.

Katie said...

hahaha that is so true about dad. i call him ANYTIME someone even makes me the slightest bit mad and he will ACTUALLY say "ill kill em"

Kelly Louise said...

she's a legit multi-billionaire hahaha.
have you heard of the brand Bijan? they only allow people with $1,000,000 salary a year in their store. apparently they're "the most expensive clothes in the world". all that crap is so annoying, people need to get over them selves cuz when i win a $400m powerball one day, i'll buy 30 of those bags and go give them to a bunch of poor and homeless people!

Chloe said...

I really am broke but this shit still pisses me off. I mean, it happens all the time when you're a waitress. You know that! It's like just because I'm here doesn't mean I'm an illiterate piece of trash. I could probably outsmart you any day!

Unknown said...

Oprah and I go way back. She called me and told me about this situation. I told home girl don't sweat it, you look fabulous on this month's cover of O Magazine. Pull that shit out your purse and hand it to her.

Always be nice to people, you never know who you may run into.

Kim Brown said...

Holy Cow- someone doesn't know Oprah?! I hate car shopping, I can't even believe they told you to make an appointment!

shannon said...

having to re-visit buying a car makes my brain want to explode.

p.s. i hate oprah. she can blow me (unless she wants to give me a car).