Thursday, August 29, 2013

Just a few more days...

I gotta admit I am a little sad that summer is almost over.

I love the damn summer so much. It is hands down the best of the seasons, though they all have their perks.

2013 has been one of my best summers. Not as good as the one I got to spend tromping around Europe and not having a job, but probably a close second. I did so much cool shit this summer, and made it on eight road trips...eight, my god no wonder I am so poor. Number nine is coming up this weekend and in addition to all the miles we traveled, Uncle Kenny came out to Maryland for a wild visit making this a badass summer.

I could not have asked for more. Some how I managed to fit all those trips and countless local activities in while also working three weekends in June. I was a busy bee, and that is how I like it.

I thought a good list was in order of all the reasons I am bummed the summer is coming to a close. In true optimist style it will soon be followed by a list of reasons I am glad summer is ending.

Without further ado....



-I won't feel like a lizard when I step outside. I love the hot hot sun beating down on my skin. It feels so good to me, even though I burn after about 28 seconds. #ILoveSunscreen.

-I can't wear a sundress everyday. People at work are always like, "Oh you look so pretty today in your dress." The truth of the matter is I would just rather not wear pants.

-It won't stay light out until 9pm. Something about the days getting shorter makes me tired at first. I get used to it eventually, but the other night as I was leaving yoga and the sky was dark it made me a little sad.

-Flip flops aren't appropriate for work anymore. I f-ing hate shoes. I am not thrilled about trading in the flops for real shoes...not thrilled at all.

-Day drinking isn't quite as acceptable anymore. For some reason people aren't too judgy about drinking poolside or at a BBQ, but if you spend all day in the bar in January you are suddenly a drunk.

-I can't walk outside in my jammies or robe to let Fred outside. I probably shouldn't do this anyway, but it is nice to not need to put on a lame coat and shoes when he does his biznaz.

-The pool will close. I love the pool at my apartment. It is my personal oasis and favorite spot to sip wine. I will miss it so.

-We can't cook every meal on the grill. Don't get me wrong I will make Jose light that thing up until it is just too cold to stand it, but it likely won't be every night...bye bye delicious grilled veggies.

-My skin will return to its natural shade of Casper the Ghost. Not that I ever get tan per se, but I am a nice light gold at the moment...it is fading as we speak.

What will you miss most about the summer??

13 comments:

Morgan Sparks said...

This summer has gone by WAY too fast! The only good thing about summer coming to an end is that football season is beginning (and at least that means it's still acceptable to day drink on gamedays!).

Rachel said...

I feel like day drinking is always acceptable.

Tami said...

I love summer so much too and am so bummed its coming to an end! It's lame that the pool closes. What if I want to go ice swimming??

Kathy@MoreCoffeeLessTalky said...

i've totally been pushing the envelope with flip-flops at work (we're not "allowed" but i wear them anyway!) and i'm not looking forward to stuffing my feet back into socks/shoes :(

-kathy
Vodka and Soda

Heidi said...

Wah! I don't want it to go away!
I'm going to miss not washing my hair and saying it's "beach hair".
Oh, and also my millions of road trips. I have one more this weekend also!

Miss Riss said...

I'm totes gonna miss swimming and pool time. And swimming. BUT I'm so over this 110+ degree heat here in AZ that I'm ready to put on a sweater!

Savannah said...

definitely feel you on the shoe thing! I haaaate wearing shoes and would wear sandals every day if I could. And there's that in between time of no sandals but no cute fall boots either (at least in AZ)

Monica said...

I hate wearing pants too...and having to wear tights with my dresses/skirts in the winter makes me feel like I am wearing pants! I also feel like a lizard, everyone is complaining about the heat and sun and I am all like this is amazing! haha

Helene in Between said...

I had a summer post lined up but i like yours way more. so I'm just going to read this and mourn the loss of summer

Anonymous said...

I am already missing summer. But.. in truth... I'm in Texas... we still have summer for at least 2-3 more months. :)

Tiffany Khyla said...

I'm gonna miss summer (except the weather. It's way too hot in Louisiana. Take it down a couple of degrees). I'm so jealous that you went on eight roadtrips! So lucky. I only went on two, yet I still seem to be poor. I definitely will be missing the sundress wearing and day drinking as well.

shannon said...

summer just needs to GTFO.
i've had enough.
well maybe i would like it more if i were spending it with you.

Kerry @ Till Then Smile Often said...

I think I would like it more if i didn't have to work during the summer and I had a pool, otherwise I can't stand the humidity and being so hot I melt. Though I do love it being so light out well into the night.