Wednesday, September 18, 2013

the assholes you meet at the gym

So in an effort to get a little smaller, I have been spending a shit load of time at the gym. I usually go to a minimum of 5 classes a week and sometimes as many as seven, as a result I am meeting a whole lot of other gym rats.

Now let me clear one thing up real quick before anyone goes getting all mad and thinking I am making generalizations; I am only talking about the assholes you meet in classes at the gym. I have never and probably will never work out in the lion's den that is the actual gym. No thank you. I run outside (not on treadmills in stinky rooms) and I take classes. So this post is based on my experiences in the locker room and classroom exclusively.



-The woman who is totally unprepared for class. This woman is probably middle aged, often Asian, always crazy. I met one last week in zumba who arrived in khaki capris and clog tennis shoes. I hadn't seen those shoes since the 90s, and certainly never in a gym. The worst part is this woman is usually in better shape than you.

-The woman who doesn't own a sports bra. I met a large middle-aged black woman named Janine last week, who I am not sure had any bra on at all. I saw much more than I bargained for in that class let me tell ya.

-The slut. This girl finds it necessary to show off her goods by wearing only a pair of booty shorts and a sports bra. I typically wear a pant and have yet to over heat. I mean I get you are working out and all, but aren't you cold??

-The suck up. She is always in the front row and seems to be besties with all the teachers. She probably has a banging body so you hate her a little bit.

-The weird breather in yoga. This one is typically an older man who wears dangerously short shorts. His breathing is sexual and makes you incredibly uncomfortable.

-The buff old lady. This one bitch I take Pilates with is at least 65 and has the body of Jennifer Anniston. I don't get it, she makes me feel so out of shape it's not even funny. You should see her.

-The beauty. She works out all hour long and finishes the class with not so much as a hair out of place. She does not look like a red faced hippo like I do after finishing some cardio.

-The beast. She could kill you with her bare hands. She can bench like 88 times her body weight and has a barbed wire tattoo around her bicep. Do not take her spot in class.

-The nudist. She is old, she is saggy, and she loves to get naked. She walks around the locker room like she owns the place while her boobs flop in the breeze. It is almost as awkward as the heavy breather.

What type of gym rat are you?

19 comments:

Kathy@MoreCoffeeLessTalky said...

OMFG this totally made my morning, esp the one about the crazy unprepared asian lady BECAUSE IT'S SO TRUE HAHAHAH. for real, there's a guy who runs in my area IN JEANS AND POLO TOP as if he just got off the bus from work and decided to go for a run. And he's asian. WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY PEOPLE?!

Morgan Sparks said...

7 classes a week?! Damn girl. Give me some of that motivation please!

Anonymous said...

If I had to guess, I'm the weird breather. What? Working out is hard...

Helene in Between said...

I went to the gym this morning and saw all of those people you described. So funny

Rachel said...

I just avoid the gym so I do not have to see these people..that is my reasoning atleast!

Anonymous said...

I think you have pinpointed why I've been avoiding the gym lately. I just can't with all of these people.

Jordan said...

You forgot the dumbass in jeans. Or cargo shorts. WHO DOESN'T OWN SWEATPANTS?

Anonymous said...

Oh dear god that last one is horrid, I would run scared from the locker room. gah!

Chelsee W said...

Omg I would so die from laughing at seeing all of this. People would look at me like I was crazy for sure...heavy breathing in Yoga? Maybe his mental image is not as relaxing as most lol

SMD @ lifeaccordingtosteph said...

At my last gym, I was always next to a lady in zumba who was wearing cordoroys and a sweater. WTF.

I have also been next to the person who cannot keep up at all and is so bad she's going to run into people and hurt them.

Kerry @ Till Then Smile Often said...

I don't really take the classes, more the weight room chick but I always manage to run into the naked old lady in the locker room!!! WTF do that at home lady no one wants to see your naked saggy bits!!

Something Infinitely Interesting said...

haha i know what your saying about a couple of these.. i always see a couple girls that were underware to the gym. It's like really i don't care how good my body looks, my ass cheeks are not for everyone to see, esp jumping up and down. lol hahaha
Oh and the buff lady, man i see her to.

Anonymous said...

The nudist, the breather, and the lady who doesn't own a sports bra. I died. Hahahaha.

I do own a sports bra, but I have big boobs that move no matter how many expensive ones I have on at any given time. Don't let me be included in the sports bra one. Hahaha.

Carly @ The Pinot Project said...

This is an amazing list.

I don't get the people who work out in jeans or jorts. I mean, how is that even comfortable??!?!

Davenport Spud said...

keep your humor more self deprecating. I go to the gym with a guy with dementia that smells bad and is afraid of the big rubber ball...never know when you'll hit nerve make yourself the butt of humor.. it's endearing

Unknown said...

I had been looking for some updates in athletic shorts men since past week and this blog really gives me a lot of knowledge about shorts and gym clothing.Good and really an appreciative work.
http://www.apparelnbags.com/athleticwear-athletic-shorts.htm

Kate at Green Fashionista said...

Every.single.one of these is spot on! Hilarious!

shannon said...

you forgot about the INSANELY LOUD GRUNTING WOMAN.

i just can't handle any of them.

Kristin O said...

Bahaha...the weird breather!! Oh my...I need to get my ass back in the gym!!