Friday, September 13, 2013

songs that define me

As with most things in life I am a day late and a dollar short to Helene's songs that define me link up. To be honest I would have posted this yesterday but I already mentioned her like 28 times in yesterday's post so I didn't want to be too creepy.

I have quite a few songs that mean a great deal to me. They are not necessarily my favorite songs, some I don't like at all for that matter, but they bring me back to a specific time and place so they will forever hold a place in my heart. I am going to do this in timeline fashion for everyone's reading pleasure.

My childhood.

Essentially any Beatles song reminds me of my childhood. We even refered to my mom as the lost Beatle when we were younger because she loved them so much. I beleive with 100% of my heart that my mom would ditch my dad in a hot second if Paul McCartney came a knocking. I actually get really annoyed when people don't like the Beatles. I just don't understand what's not to like?

In addition to the Beatles, the song that really reminds me of being little is this one:


My dad used to blare it anytime my mom asked us to clean up the house. Instead of helping her clean my dad, my sister, and I would grab pots and pans bang on them with spoons and march around the house singing this song. 

Another song that really brings me back is this beauty by Genesis. My sister loved the shit out of this song and we would listen to it over and over again on any given car trip.

No Son of Mine by Genesis on Grooveshark

Fast forward to high school and there are just so many.

Music played a huge part of my life in high school. I spent almost every weekend at concerts in Detroit and all my weekdays dating boys who played guitars. That was pretty much my only requirement for a boyfriend back in those days.

Literally any Sublime song makes me super happy because I spent so much time listening to them while my bestfriend's brother drove me to school. I was far too cool to take the bus so I rode in a car with way too many people crammed into it to avoid that. Often times I had to sit on someone's lap because I was the last stop, more often than not that someone was wearing pleather pants.

This was my first "song" with a boy. I still love this song a lot, and remember the first time we listened to it in the back of a Ford Taurus:

Say It Ain't So by Weezer on Grooveshark

So I am not sure how or why, but for some reason my little sister and I got really into Mindless Self Indulgence for a long while in high school. Truth be told I still love them. It is not that crazy that I enjoy this type of music because I am a hood rat, but my little sister is the sweetest, most innocent, quiet person. If you met her and knew she listened to this shit you would be stunned.

Bitches by Mindless Self Indulgence on Grooveshark

This next song reminds me of when my grandpa died. It was a hard one on the whole family because my grandpa was the greatest human to ever walk this Earth. We were all pretty messed up at his funeral but in the limo my dad started singing this song and my cousins, sister, and I all sang it at the top of our lungs when we got to the funeral home. I am sure everyone there thought we were totally crazy or complete assholes, but somehow it made it a little better. Plus this is just a sweet song:


I should also give honorable mentions to Kid Rock and Eminem during high school. They are both Michiganders too so we listened to them a lot.

Also, any emo band. I was way into. Dashboard Confessional, At The Drive In, Saves The Day...the list goes on.

Then came college. Man did I love college.

I listen to a bit of everything with the exception of country. I am not a huge fan of country music but by God does it ever remind me of college. My roommates loved country music so much and they would blast it while we got ready for parties. My memories of them are the only reason I can stand country these days. 

Ohh then there is this song:
Sugar we're going down swinging by Fall Out Boy on Grooveshark

This song reminds me of a frat party when I met a boy who shall remain nameless. He was the first boy to ever really hurt me and the first boy that really made me feel beautiful. He was serious trouble but so so so so much fun too. This song always makes me feel like a sexy devil when I hear it.

And this one:

I lost a very dear friend to suicide when I was 20. This song reminds me of him because he was obsessed with the Labyrinth. He sang this song constantly and did a weird dance too. His death is the worst thing that has ever happened to me, but it also made me stronger and I will always remember him singing this.

And now.

I still listen to quite an eclectic range of music, but I have to say the music that has stolen my heart in a way I never could have imagined is bluegrass. I can't get enough. I know, I know it is sort of like country but I don't know I just love it.

If you don't think you like bluegrass, or have never heard any, I urge you to check out GreenSky Bluegrass. They are top notch. I have seen them live a few times now and I would bang most of them. Especially the long haired dude. He's saucy.




Helene in Between

6 comments:

Kerry @ Till Then Smile Often said...

What an eclectic mix! I like it! Best line ever - "I would bang most of them. Especially the long haired dude. He's saucy."

Miss Riss said...

I have to say, I didn't have you pegged as a blue grass kind of girl. But I love it!!! =)

You Just Do said...

Hi There!

I nominated you for a Liebster Award which is basically just a fun way of connecting bloggers :)


I hope you chose to participate!

Megan

here is the direct link to the post:
http://youjustdo54.blogspot.com/2013/09/liebster-award-whaaat.html

Heidi said...

I grew up on the Beatles too and don't understand when people don't like them. Kid Rock, Sublime and Eminem. Yes totally reminds me of high school. I'm totally a country lover, have been forever! I'm gonna check out that bluegrass band!

Tiffany Khyla said...

I love so many of these songs! You got good taste, girl. Weezer! Love them. Such a sweet story behind "Jeremiah was a bullfrog." And I love love love "Sugar, We're Going Down." Awesomeee.

shannon said...

JUST KIDDING.
we're talking again. because you chose BANG ON THE DRUM. which is the packers song. HOLLA.