Friday, September 6, 2013

Can you smell that smell

The other day I had a meeting in one of the barns located at my place of employment.

You read that right, barn...as in we have multiple, as in I am not in Detroit anymore :(

We are talking about converting this barn into a classroom or some other multi-purpose space. Somehow I find myself involved with everything that goes on at the museum I work for so naturally I was participating in the meeting.

We all get to the barn to meet and I am overcome by a foul odor. I try to ignore it but it is just too much. I decided I will contribute to the meeting by standing outside and watching from the door way. The other 4 people in the meeting seemed unaffected.

When we returned to our respective offices my boss told me I was being a tad ridiculous and it didn't smell that bad. He wasn't mad or anything just kind of giving me a hard time. I decided to investigate. I told one of our maintenance guys the barn was stinky and he took matters into his own hands.

An hour or so later I got a call informing me there was a dead rotting possum in that barn. I was delighted...not that a possum had died, but that I was in fact not the ridiculous one after all. Quite the contrary actually, I think it is more ridiculous that 4 other people were not bothered by the smell of rotting flesh and trust me I let them know it.



So that got me thinking about all the other horrid smells I cannot stand, and I wonder what smells really get everyone else's goat.



1. Breakfast food in the morning when I am hungover. Without fail in high school anytime I was hungover my mom would decide to make a big ass breakfast and it made me hightail it to the porcelain thrown every time. It was as if she knew.

2. Rubber gloves. Ewww. Especially at the dentist, in yo mouth, oh god! Or when you have to wear them and your hands stink for what seems like days...I will practically wash my hands raw after wearing super stinky ones.

3. Fish. This one is strange because I love to eat fish but I hate the way it smells.

4. The cage of any small animal. Lizard, rodent, bird, you name it I hate it. I really only like dogs as pets and the smell of the little ones cages is one of the main reasons. Even though my dog is large and in charge he doesn't stink, not even a little bit.

5. Certain perfumes and colognes. I can be a bit of a bitch about this one. My sister used to love some cheap ass Designer Imposter version of Tommy Girl and I refused to drive her to school if she had it on. The poor kid  wasn't allowed to spray it on until we arrived at the school parking lot back in high school. In that same vein there was an IT guy at my last job who wore the worst cologne on the planet. I could smell the shit in my office even if he came to work on my computer when I was out.

6. Vomit. I am sure this pretty much goes for everyone, but I  could never in a million years be a nurse or work with small children because if I smelt it I will in turn dealt it.

What smells do you hate the most? I know I am forgetting a bunch but those are my top 6.

18 comments:

Carly @ The Pinot Project said...

My husband thinks I have the most sensitive nose ever. I smell everything, but the worst are Subway (vomit) and other people's farts.

Anonymous said...

This is going to sound horrible. But when someone is on the too heavy side and you know they haven't showered and by god it's just gross. I'm sorry in advance.

Rachel said...

I hate fish smells..I am allergic so I can't enjoy the taste..so the smell makes me wanna throw up.

Anonymous said...

I hate the smell of oranges and I can smell someone peeling one from a hallway away. Woof.

Erica said...

Hand sanitizer. I do not want my hands to smell like vodka all day, thanks. Come at me, germs!

Pasta sauce and water. Having to dishes after a meal with red sauce makes me dry heave every time. Which is why the boyfriend is the household dishwasher. I pay him with candy for his troubles.

Chloe said...

Seriously old guys cologne is the worst. At work we have a guy who makes the salads and wears the worst smelling cologne in the entire fucking world. I just want to rip my nose off of my face. lol.

Kathy@MoreCoffeeLessTalky said...

1. my husband's farts. worst.

2. my farts when i'm pmsing -- everyone clear out because it ain't pretty.

3. bare feet that have been stuffed into running shoes during the summer <-- nasty

-kathy
Vodka and Soda

SMD @ lifeaccordingtosteph said...

I cannot believe they didn't notice a dead rotting carcass smell. WTH is wrong with them?

I hate the smell of patchouli, urine (hazards of commuting in a city), hot trash, and cloying overdone candles.

Karla said...

You can turn the strangest stories into the coolest blog posts. Hahaha, you got me laughing pretty hard this morning! YES to the rubber glove smell. I always smell it allll day after going to the dentist. Awful!

Jess @ Living On Sweet Tea said...

UGHHHH breakfast food = vomit when I'm hungover. Thats a double whammy.

Yammering Yankee said...

Old folks homes god it smells like death, moth balls and antiseptic makes me want to throw chow.

Stephanie said...

Ugh fish, I cannot stand it. So nasty. How did no one else smell a rotting dead animal?!

Tequila. I can smell if a bartender pours a shot all the way down the bar. No one can slip me tequila or jameson without me knowing, I smell it coming. And apple pucker. And bicardi o. Basically if I had a bad night with it, I can smell it coming - like bad memories.

Kerry @ Till Then Smile Often said...

Cannot stand the smell of fish! Barf! How did they not smell the rotting death?! Can't stand the smell of Curry!! That stuff lingers for days!

Chelsee W said...

Sounds horrible!!!

Kelly Louise said...

omg that picture is so scary! smelling that would have made me vomit and then have to smell #6 on your list. barf. i'm super sensitive to smells. like my boyfriend is like your boss "it's not that bad" and i'm like WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU IT'S THE MOST RANCID STENCH EVER!
i get it girl, i get it.

Bad Luck Jenn said...

You sound like you are sensitive to smells like me! They called me bloodhound at work bc I could smell what people ate for lunch (that's gross if you have it on you like that, just sayin) but I totally understand on perfumes/colognes! I hate old woman perfume! Esp when someone is a smoker and has to wear the whole bottle annnnd you have a headache..

Ashley said...

It's pretty odd that no one could smell a dead freaking animal! Ewh that must have been horrific. Anyways when you said breakfast smell with a hangover is bad, it immediately made me think of like when you have a party at your place and you wake up hangover and you have to go out and clean up... the smell of alcohol with a hangover killlllls me!

Miss Riss said...

Feet. sweaty feet. *GAG*