Thursday, September 5, 2013

Rat a fricken touille

Seeing as I have become a meat eating vegetarian as of late, I find myself cooking a whole lot of new things. I see a lot of my friends on the good old Facebook complaining about not being able to find good vegetarian recipes or just new recipes in general. I personally don't get it, I never find myself at a loss for new things to make but that could very well be because I watch Food Network about 36 hours a day.

It is no secret I love to cook and eat even more, so I am going to keep posting recipes on this old blog of mine until the blog police tell me not to.

This one is an old favorite of mine and quite possibly the easiest thing you can ever make. Ratatouille. It is as delicious as the movie is adorable.


Ratatouille is really great because you can kind of just use whatever veggies you have on hand or anything you need to get rid off. I typically go with: peppers, eggplant, tomato, zucchini, and onion...but really you can throw in anything you like. I also never make it the same way twice and use whatever I am into that day as my seasoning be it fresh herbs, wine, balsamic vinegar, etc.. I switch it up but it is always awesome. The recipe below is my most recent take on it.

Easy as can be Ratatouille

You will need: 
(keep in mind whatever the hell you want to use will work just fine)
Eggplant
Bell Peppers
Zucchini
Onion
Garlic
One can of diced tomatoes
Red Wine
Fresh Basil
Italian seasoning
Salt and pepper
Brown Rice (or white whatever you like)



Directions:

-Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

-Slice all your veggies into bite sized pieces.

-Arrange veggies in a deep baking pan. I like to layer them so they look pretty, because the better it looks the better it tastes.

-Pour the can of tomatoes over the veggies and add your seasonings and a generous dash of red wine. You want a bit of liquid to be covering the veggies.



-Bake the ratatouille for 45-60 minutes or until all the veggies are tender. I stir mine several times while it bakes. 

-While the ratatouille bakes make up some brown or white rice to serve with the delicious mess of vegetables.



Even men dig this recipe. It is surprisingly filling for being just veggies and super low in fat. Which means you can have ice cream for dessert without feeling bad.






9 comments:

Kathy@MoreCoffeeLessTalky said...

sooo....can you come over and cook this for me? i'm so not creative when it comes to cooking :(

-kathy
Vodka and Soda

Kerry @ Till Then Smile Often said...

What a perfect way to use up all your veggies! Looks so yummy!

Helene in Between said...

wait, this is a real recipe>! haha this looks so good!

Tami said...

Is it bad I had no idea Ratatouille was a food? I never saw the movie soo I get a free pass. This looks delish though!

Rachel said...

To many veggies..I am sorry my lady friend.

Miss Riss said...

I wish I liked to cook. I wish so badly...

Margaret said...

My favorite movie of all time. Yes I'm 27 and no I don't care that my favorite movie is a cartoon. I love it!!

And that looks delish too!!

Anonymous said...

On one hand, that looks delicious. On the other hand, it looks like a lot of fucking work. Kudos to you, girl.

XO, Samm
www.dysfunctionaleverafter.com

Kelly Louise said...

everything i learned about cooking was from watching non-stop food network, choppped and of course pinterest