Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Shrimp. It's what's for dinner.

One of the more delicious things I have put into my mouth recently is this mango and plantain shrimp dish I concocted as a result of having an abundance of habaneros in my fridge.

If you are a fan of spicy and sweet flavors like I am, I suggest you give this bad boy a try. Bonus: it is super easy to make.

*As you know, I am not much of a measure, so just use your judgement ;)

Mango Habanero Shrimp with Plantain Chips

You will need:

Fresh shrimp
Sweet bell pepper
Salt and Pepper
1 Habanero
1 Mango
Soy Sauce
Plantains
Coconut Oil

Directions:

-Clean and thaw your shrimp. I friggen hate cleaning shrimp so this job typically is reserved for the man friend. Lightly season the shrimp with salt and pepper and set aside.



-Slice your bell peppers into strips and add them to a pan of hot coconut oil. Chop habanero very fine and remove veins and seeds. Be careful because these suckers are hot and the oil will stay on your hands. I always remove my contacts before working with them and try to touch them as little as possible. Add the habanero to the pan of peppers. I like my shit real spicy so I use a lot, but it really depends on your taste. Cooked habanero in my opinion is much less spicy than raw, but a little will still go a long way.

-Once the peppers have cooked down, add your shrimp and saute for a few minutes. Be sure not to over cook your shrimp as they only take a few minutes. Add a splash of soy sauce to the pan when the shrimp are well cooked.

-Next, chop your mango into small chunks and add to a sauce pan. Be sure to stir regularly, use a spoon to smoosh the mangos as they are your sauce. Once the sauce is a nice think creamy texture add it to your shrimp and peppers and mix.



-While you are tending to the shrimp saute, slice plantains into small discs. Add them to a pan of hot coconut oil and season with a bit of salt and pepper. Cook for about 4 minutes and flip and repeat. They should be a nice golden brown.




This dish is really delicious and sort of makes you feel like you are in the tropics for a brief minute before the reality that you are just in your dining room sinks in.



I hope you like it. I also sincerely apologize for the suckiness of my photos. I will work on it.

 

For more great recipes visit the Blissfully Miller and Let's Get Bananas blogs.

9 comments:

Rachel said...

So jealous you can eat Shrimp..please eat this for me!

Kerry @ Till Then Smile Often said...

I will have to try this but with chicken. Not a shrimp person. Love the combo of sweet and spicy!

Morgan Sparks said...

This looks/sounds delicious and easy to make. I'm going to have to give it a try!

Anonymous said...

What a unique dish! We eat shrimp at least once a week so I'm always looking for new shrimp recipes. Thanks for linking up!

Jess @ Living On Sweet Tea said...

that looks so good! next time i get some shrimp this is happening.

Kathy@MoreCoffeeLessTalky said...

i have a better idea: when i'm in your neck of the woods, how about i come over and you cook this for me mmmkay? thanks.

-kathy
Vodka and Soda

Margaret said...

this sounds so damn good!! I'm never sure about mango in things- but I really need to try this.

Chelsee W said...

This looks so yummy! I can't wait to try this!

shannon said...

holy crap does that look fantastic.
ALSO you killed me over your having all those habeneros in your fridge. you kill me.