Wednesday, October 23, 2013

reasons Michigan is better...

It is really no question that Michigan is the best of all the states.

In case you are under the false impression that some other state is better, here is a list of reasons why you are sorely mistaken.

-It has a shit ton of lakes. Really big ones too. Some are cold, some are freezing, and some are just right.

-Coney Island. Not like the amusement park in New York, I am talking National Coney Island, American Coney Island, and Lafayette Coney Island. They are some of the finest restaurants in this world and all are exclusive to Michigan. If you think you don't like coney dogs, it is because you have never had one at these restaurants. Because trust me, everyone likes them. If you come to Michigan and are a vegetarian, you better cut it out for a day because these are a must try.



-There is beer for days. Michigan has more micro-breweries than Geico has commercials. There are some really amazing, award winning beers brewed here, and that my friends is pretty cool.  If you don't beleive me, try something from Shorts, Dark Horse, Bells, or Founders. You will change your tune real quick I promise.

-It's cheap. Not like a hooker, though you can find plenty of those in Detroit if that is your thing, but for reals the cost of living, drinking, dining out, and shopping is way lower than most places.

-Uncle Kenny lives in Michigan. No other state boasts a man with comments like these: 




-There is ethnic food galore! Having grown up in Detroit and being exposed to diverse food since I was a wee little baby, I really didn't realize not everyone ate that way. I mean, in the Detroit area every diner you go into has a full Greek menu, there is a Mexican town, pierogies are a staple, and my parents neighbors have been feeding me kibe and grape leaves since I could walk...it was a really hard adjustment to move to the culinary wasteland that is rural Maryland but I am doing my best.

-Madonna is from Michigan. You may not like her as a person, she does have a fake British accent afterall, but the bitch can sing. I could listen to Madonna all day everyday.

-These babies live in Michigan. They may not be quite as sassy as uncle Kenny yet, but he is one of their primary influences so it is only a matter of time really. Seriously though Evelyn Mae and Arthur John are cuter than any of us could ever hope to be, they even have better names than the rest of us.

(Don't worry, my sister assured me that is baby drool not piss next to little Arthur's head)

There are literally thousands of other reasons why Michigan is the best place I know, but I am too busy enjoying being here to write any more. 

Have you been to Michigan? If so, what is your favorite part??




12 comments:

Kathy@MoreCoffeeLessTalky said...

went to michigan and i remember an awesome outlet (near or in there) that was so cheap and i bought a shit-ton of stuff.

i'm happy to hear that it also has amazing ethinic food! that's like toronto -- you can get EVERYTHING here in terms of food!!

-kathy
Vodka and Soda

Kristin O said...

Might be making a trip to Michigan. lol. Love this post!

Rachel said...

You had me at the hotdog!

Amy @The Crazy Wise Woman said...

Oh my goodness!!! I am from MI too and I love and miss it sooo much. Can't wait to go home for Thanksgiving. I bring back bags of pierogi for my freezer (I'm Polish) and of course kielbasa! I miss pasties too... you can't get them anywhere else. And Greektown... and you are right the best coney dogs on the planet!!!! And some of the best sports traditions around!

Cassidy C. said...

You forgot to mention University of Michigan football ;) I keed I keed (Eminem).. I don't think I ever want to leave this cold, massive snow producing, lovely state!

Wine and Summer said...

The only time I went to Michigan was for my cousin's graduation at U of M and all I remember was a really good sandwich place and a legalize marijuana protest that was going on...I also went to Urban and got a shirt that says "The best girls are from Jersey"...

Wine and Summer said...

The only time I went to Michigan was for my cousin's graduation at U of M and all I remember was a really good sandwich place and a legalize marijuana protest that was going on...I also went to Urban and got a shirt that says "The best girls are from Jersey"...

Miss Riss said...

I've been to Michigan once with my family for my grandma's funeral. Yes, it was sad, but since my mom and her family is from Michigan and my sister and I had never been before we made a trip out of it and it was awesome! We went to Fenton (small town, I think?) Where my mom grew up, Frankenmuth, and Mackinac Island. LOVED all of it!

SMD @ lifeaccordingtosteph said...

I really really really like Uncle Kenny. And hotdogs.

Kerry @ Till Then Smile Often said...

Okay I love you but I went to Ohio State so basically Michigan swallows! :) Uncle Kenny sounds like a BOSS!!

Stephanie said...

I tolerate Michigan. I prefer it to Indiana though, that's for sure. But wherever Uncle Kenny is, that's where I want to be.

Kim Brown said...

So, I lived in Michigan for a year whilst my husband went to MI State for law school. It was too cold for my Southern blood, BUT I loved the campus creamery. Never had better ice cream in my life. The produce out there was to die for. Oh, and the ginger ale Verners- is that an MI things?)