Monday, October 14, 2013

balls to the walls

Guys, the Tigers are doing so great right now. The Tigers as in the baseball team, not the large feline. I don't really know how the tiger population is doing at the moment, but I do like baseball a lot. Partially because it is cool, and partially because Jose friggen loves it so I would have to spend a lot of time watching something I hate if I didn't get into it.

Last week to celebrate the post season I made a meal shaped like baseballs for Jose, Fred, and I to enjoy. You should note, this is a complete lie...I actually made rice balls because they are gd delicious, it was purely coincidental that we watched baseball while we ate them.

Anyway, they came out excellent and here is the recipe.



Rice Balls 

(or Arancini if you fancy)

You will need:

1/2 cup cooked and cooled rice
3 eggs
Bread Crumbs
Shredded Parmesan Cheese
Fresh Mozerella Cheese
Cayenne Pepper
Garlic
Salt
Black Pepper
Olive Oil



Directions:

-Preheat oven to 400

-Take cooled rice and put it in a large mixing bowl. Add in the shredded parm, I just added a little bit but the more the merrier when it comes to cheese if you aren't on a diet. Add chopped garlic (once again the more the merrier right?), salt, pepper, and a few shakes of cayenne, crack one egg into the mixture and combine well.

-Next chop your mozz into small chunks. Or big if you are feeling wild. Set aside.

-Crack two eggs into a bowl and whisk until smooth.

-Place a layer of bread crumbs on a plate and coat a baking sheet with olive oil.

-Now it is time to handle the balls ;) I found it worked best to have slightly wet hands...I am sorry this is so dirty guys but wet balls seemed to work best. Take a handful of rice and wrap it around a chunk of the mozz cheese forming a ball. The balls can be any size you like, I made mine big because that is how I have always had them in restaurants.

-Roll the ball in the egg and then coat with bread crumbs.

-Place on the oiled baking sheet and repeat until you have lots o balls. 

-Bake for about 35 minutes flipping halfway through. Keep your eye on them and just cook until they are nice and golden brown.

-Serve with warm marinara sauce. 


I should really have wiped the drips of sauce off the side of that plate...the chopped judges would be so pissed at me. I am also embarrassed to admit I ate both those giant balls. 


12 comments:

Kerry @ Till Then Smile Often said...

That sounds really good!! Need to give it a try!

Margaret said...

Umm...delicious! These sound awesome!

Amy @The Crazy Wise Woman said...

That sounds awesome! I think my kiddoes will love this!

Katie said...

so glad youre back to blogging my love. and also back to making me starving :)

Jordan said...

This sounds like something I can handle! Easy recipe and wet balls? I got this.

Helene in Between said...

i'm rooting for LSU tigers so at least we like the same mascot. but yay for real for your team and yum.

SMD @ lifeaccordingtosteph said...

They look great!

Lala said...

they look so good

Delightful Ideas

Chloe said...

Your balls look delicious!

Kathy@MoreCoffeeLessTalky said...

those are the most beautiful balls i have ever seen.

-kathy
Vodka and Soda

Miss Riss said...

I'm rooting for Detroit mostly cause I want Boston to lose. The same way I'm rooting for St. Louis cause I REALLY want LA to lose. But that's neither here nor there...your recipe looks yumm-o! =)

Kim Brown said...

Those look amaz-balls! You are quite the chef :)