Tuesday, December 10, 2013

...to be young at heart

Obviously when the author of my favorite blog Helene in Between says to do something I do it.

When that something happens to be a linkup this awesome I do it even quicker.

I make no excuses for the fact that I friggen love Christmas. 

Hell, everyone in my office hates me right now because I have been blaring non-stop carols since the 1st.

But to them I say bah humbug and I let the little drummer boy keep spreading cheer.

I think we all turn into a bit of a kid during the holidays, and I think that is a great thing.

In case you were wondering that is in fact a rabbit fur cap...it comes out to play every year


-People go ape shit over light displays. Any other time of the year we would call people white trash for covering their brick ranch in light up reindeer and inflatable snowmen but during the month of December we will drive miles and miles to check out a really great display.

Jose and I a few years ago

-Heart warming movies make us tear up instead of throw up. What other time of the year can you handle watching syrupy sweet love stories about a poor girl from a small town who falls in love with a real estate mogul in exactly three days and then at the wedding the maid of honor's father just so happens to be Chris Kringle himself and he lets the couple take his sleigh to Hawaii for their honeymoon? The answer is never. I would never watch that crap if Santa weren't involved.

-We eat with abandon. Most grown ass people give at least some consideration to what food we are putting into our bodies, maybe we don't let those thoughts stop us from eating what we want but we at least think a minute before chowing down. Not during the holidays though. No sirry. That week of Christmas we eat more cookies than seems humanly possible. A little Bailey's in your morning cup of joe? Sure why not, it's Christmas for crying out loud.

Look at all that food, I am sure I had 86 slices of sausage that night

-Gifts make us giddy. I mean yeah, everyone likes getting gifts all year (unless they are a weirdo) but opening up a Christmas present makes everyone get all jazzed up and childlike, it's pretty fun to watch.

-We fight with our families. Growing up my family was always fighting with each other, we screamed and yelled and that is how we showed we care (at least that's what I tell myself). As you get older you (hopefully) become a little less emotional and you also don't live with your family anymore so the fighting seems to cease....until Christmas that is!! I can't remember a single year where my sister and I haven't come to blows causing my parents to get all pissed off, it is just like the good old days.

-We dress like idiots. Kids will literally wear anything. My mom made the mistake of allowing me to choose my own outfit for school photos one year and I went with a Scottish kilt and mardi gras beads...Christmas rolls around and all of us normally well dressed adults start donning Santa hats and snowman earrings, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

My parents and our late baby dog.

-We aren't total dicks to one another. Most kids (while certainly not all) are pretty nice for the most part. They don't do things to intentionally make other people feel bad because the world hasn't yet stolen their innocence. During Christmas the vast majority of people get just a little bit nicer too. And it's friggen awesome.



Helene in Between

11 comments:

Kathy@MoreCoffeeLessTalky said...

haha! i'm with you on the lights. we judge the hell out of those houses that keep their lights on when outside of december but as soon as dec 1 rolls around, it's all: LET'S DRIVE 100 MILES OUT OF THE CITY TO LOOK AT HOUSES WITH ALL THE LIGHTS ON!

-kathy
Vodka and Soda

Tammy Jo said...

I nominated you for the Liebster Award today on my blog :)

Jess @ Living On Sweet Tea said...

I LOVE xmas lights! and dressing like an idiot haha

Kerry @ Till Then Smile Often said...

I love driving around looking for light displays. The dressing up part is too funny! My poor dog has had to endure it! Sappy movies are a must this time of year!

SMD @ lifeaccordingtosteph said...

I love lights but I will skewere people who have their outdoor decor up past January 6. SKEWER.

I would never wear red and green together, but the week of Christmas I'm all HO HO HO MOFOS in my red and green gear.

Helene said...

YEP! this is all spot on. eating with out abandon is my favorite but i have to hand it to you, we do call it white trash except on christmas as far as lights go.

Monica L said...

Haha this post is perfect! Lights at the zoo are suddenly magical when I know damn well I do not like the zoo any other time of the year.

Katie Elizabeth said...

Haha looove this list! Christmas just wouldn't be complete without the endless food, sappy movies, light displays and strange outfits!

Amanda - Voyage of the MeeMee said...

I wish the Christmas spirit lasted all year long!!!!!!!

Tiffany Khyla said...

AH! I FREAKING LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT CHRISTMAS! Best time of the year. Really, it is. I've been playing Christmas Pandora in the office, but no one dares to complain because they fear my wrath (but not really). Everyone is just in happy spirits, and I love seeing people be happy. Like this WestJet video that's gone viral - I almost started CRYING. Freaking baby. But whatev: youtu.be/zIEIvi2MuEk

Chloe said...

I'm all for lights...I just can't get behind the blow up stuffs. I want all the lights though. And the cookies. MMMM. cookies.