Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Squash soup

Since I am obsessed with trying to model my life after my pinterest boards, it made sense that I needed to make butternut squash soup. Keep in mind I had never tasted such a soup, nor did I have any reason to believe I would enjoy it, but pinterest said so, and I made it.

And guess what, it was fu*king awesome. Like blew my shoes off good.

I adapted a recipe from the Whole Foods website, which I tend to do a lot, because they usually post some winners.

Even manfriend liked this one, and it is hard to get him on board with my meatless dinners. Not that that stops me from making them, but I do enjoy when he is happy from time to time.

So here you go kids:






























You Will Need:

1 Butternut squash (shocker I know)
1/2 of a Large white onion
3 cloves of garlic
1/2 of a Jalapeno pepper (or a whole one if you are feelin' fiesty)
Salt
Pepper
1 Granny smith apple
4 cups Veggie broth
1 cup half and half (I used fat free)
A dab of butter

Directions:

-Chop up your onion and jalapeno and begin sauteing it in a little butter in a soup pot. While it is cooking start working on your squash. (Cutting that bitch up was the only difficult part of this soup). Chop it so that you remove all the seeds and skin and it is in small chunks. Add it to the pot and stir.

-Peel and chop the apple and add that to the pot as well. Saute a few minutes then add in chopped garlic. Next add in the veggie broth and simmer for thirty minutes.

-Check to be sure the squash is tender, if it is use a stick blender and blend it all up. Add in the half and half and blend as well. Season with salt and pepper. (If you don't have a stick blender, just cool the soup and use a regular blender to mix the soup in batches.)

Its friggen good guys.


10 comments:

Kathy@MoreCoffeeLessTalky said...

butternut squash soup IS MY FAVORITE so thanks for this!! it's such a great winter soup to warm you up.

-kathy
Vodka and Soda

Morgan Sparks said...

Yum!! This looks delicious. Steven is the same way with meatless dinners, but maybe I can convince him with this one.

Jess @ Living On Sweet Tea said...

I've never tried a squash soup but now I want to. Guess I'd never thought about it. I love that more people are going meatless.. although I couldn't do that every night.

Jaclyn Y said...

I love butternut squash soup, haven't made any this year so maybe I'll try this recipe out!

Kerry @ Till Then Smile Often said...

I love squash soup!! I love that there is apples in there. Yum!

SMD @ lifeaccordingtosteph said...

I've totally gotten into butternut squash the past two years. My friend brought a butternut squash soup to friendsgiving and it was excellent.

Rachel said...

That sounds SOOO good! I love veggie soups the best. Unfortunately, I can't convince my husband to agree that they are so tasty!

Amanda - Voyage of the MeeMee said...

I don't think I've ever had butternut squash... but I do love me some soup so I may have to try dis here stuff!

Elle Sees said...

ok, i've never had squash soup, but since i love squash, i gotta try it!

Elle Sees said...

ok, i've never had squash soup, but since i love squash, i gotta try it!