Monday, April 14, 2014

the way i will die


Is that title creepy or what?

I know I'm a creep sorry.

I'm going to miss Fred the most.
But seriously, as of last week I know how I'm going to die.

It probably won't be long either. It is going to happen on the mean streets of Denver guys.

You see in an effort to really embrace my new urban lifestyle and fit in with all the healthy ass hipsters out here I have been riding my bike all over creation. JK it's actually because parking is a bitch in the city and I refuse to drink and drive, but the other reasons sound cooler.

Anyway, my first voyage went down on a Thursday.  A friend and I were to meet at a bar on the other side of town, I mapquested it and according to the GPS lords it was 4 miles away and would take me a mere 15 minutes to ride there.

Saweet I thought.  I hopped on my trusty bike and gave myself 30 minutes just to be on the safe side.  Turns out either mapquest is cray or I suck at biking because it took me 45 minutes.  45 minutes of sheer terror.

I had heard stories that in Denver you are not supposed to ride on the sidewalk but I just assumed that was a wive's tale so I rode on the sidewalk like I was taught to do as a youngster. I made it about 4 minutes before every homeless person in the city of Denver screamed at me to get in the street and I nearly collided with about 100 pedestrians.

So I did it. I went into the street.

Now, I had never biked in a city in my life, but I googled it and knew you were supposed to bike as if you were driving a car and follow traffic accordingly.  Well guess what?? That is friggen terrifying!! I hate that you cant see the cars coming and I am convinced each and everyone that passes is going to hit me.

I made it though eventually and then I got tipsy and rode home, downhill.  And that was even scarier.  A lot scarier actually.  Bike riding might be the only thing out there that I am not more awesome at after a few beers.

I guess it will just take some getting used to, and I should probably get a helmet if I am going to continue riding to bars.  Or maybe I am just weird in that I have done all kinds of crazy shit in my life and this is what I find scary.

Who knows, either way still in love with Denver :)

Hope you guys all have great Mondays.

9 comments:

Kerry @ Till Then Smile Often said...

Not to scare you but I got hit by a truck riding a bike. So take it from me, yes ride with the traffic as if you are in a car and GET A HELMET!! It saved my life!!

Kathy@MoreCoffeeLessTalky said...

in toronto, you can take up a whole lane like a car and it's mandatory that you wear a helmet. we were driving SO SLOW behind a few cars and i was getting angry when ahead, i saw a guy peddaling away. i was like, HE CAN'T TAKE UP A LANE LIKE THAT WITH A FUCKING BIKE!! and my husband told me that he could if there aren't any designated bike lanes on the street. fine. whatever!

so get a helmet girl!! be careful!!

-kathy
Vodka and Soda

Tracie Everyday said...

Get a helmet! OMG! In Kansas City you can take up a whole lane too, but I would be terrified. People bike here all the time, but it makes me nervous. I can't wait to hear more adventures!

Miss Riss said...

You're right about the title: definitely creepy. I can totally appreciate where you're coming from here, I hate even walking on busy streets cause it's so dang loud, I can't imagine riding my bike IN the traffic. You're a brave woman...

Helene in Between said...

biking in the city is scary!!! seriously, be safe. i almost died in amsterdam.

Margaret said...

Oh I'm terrified about riding a bike on busy city streets- so scary! I would definitely be that person on the sidewalk too even if you're not supposed to do that.

Jordan said...

I am so about to get all motherly on your ass and echo everyone else: GET A HELMET. That sounds terrifying. Biking places is not normal here (Houston) and I can't imagine trying to do so with our crazy ass drivers. Stay safe girl!

Kristin O said...

Hahaha. This is great. I mean not that you think yo're going to die, but the whole experience. I totally get it. i refuse to ride on any kid of main road or a road without a shoulder. And truthfully I hate those cocky bike riding pricks who think they are allowed to get in your way. not like you're one of them :)

SMD @ lifeaccordingtosteph said...

1. You need a helmet, my good friend Gwen's would have died in a bike accident (hit and run) without his h elmet. He was very seriously injured anyway.

I am the WORST bike rider EVER!