Thursday, January 31, 2013

I love you Alka-Seltzer

So it happened...I finally got sick.

All the bitches in my office have been hacking up a lung all winter, and I have remained unscathed.  (I say bitches with the up most love and respect, I really do love most of them). 

Then we got back from New York.  That first Monday back I was a little sluggish,  I thought it was just from all the drinking and walking 5823389 miles a day. But no, by Tuesday I was a snot nosed, itchy throated mess.

I went to work anyway.  I had some hot tea on my drive in and came prepared with Halls breezes cough drops (aka candy), and emergencee packs.  I settled into work and went to the kitchen to make my second cup of green tea.  Somehow my dumb ass managed to pour boiling hot water onto my hand instead of into the tea cup where it belonged.

It hurt like hell, honestly I even cried a little because I was afraid it would give me a deformed hand.  I didn't want to have to transplant skin from my butt onto my hand!!

I went to our medical person on staff and he assured me it was just a first degree burn and I would live. 

My hand looks like I dipped it in red paint still!

It doesn't hurt too bad anymore, but sill looks weird...I am hoping to return to a normal hue by the weekend.

In addition to the hand my cold was raging as well.  I pretty much got nothing accomplished at work on Tuesday because I could only stand the hand pain if my hand was wrapped in a cold cloth.  Typing isn't that easy with one hand!



Awesome day at the office.  So I opted to stay home Wednesday.  Now, anyone who knows me can tell you I really hate to take a sick day when I am actually sick.  I try to suffer at work when I am sick and infect my coworkers so I can reserve my "sick" days for traveling, and doing other fun things, not sitting home being miserable.

But I was too sick to stick to my guns and I stayed home and moped around the house and slept.  I only left once to get cold medicine (which made me high so that's a plus)  I never take medication, but the nasty running nose of a five year old lead me to the drugs.  I took alka-seltzer, and man did it pack a punch.

I don't know how stay at home moms do it, daytime TV friggen sucks.  I started watching Downton Abbey on my kindle.  Great, the only TV show I wasn't hooked on, the bastard cold got me addicted.

I am back at work now and mostly better, I don't sound like a 50 year old chain smoker anymore so that is good.

No comments: