Monday, January 28, 2013

New York State of Mind

Holy Canolie....I had totally forgotten how amazing New York is.  Manfriend and I returned to Maryland last night, and honestly if it weren't for the sweet little pitt bull i would miss too much, I would have been content to stay put in NY and never come back.

We woke up bright and early on Friday morning to head to a park and ride to catch a mega bus...pure class.  I am not much of a morning person and having risen at 4:30am that day, I was not feeling super hot.  I suffer from non-pregnant morning sickness.  I am not sure it is an actual disease or just my hatred of the early morning, but anytime i am up before 6:30 I feel super nauseous.  I am much more ok with still being awake at that hour, than waking at it.  So we got coffee and drove the 2 hours to Baltimore to catch the bus (have i mentioned lately we live in the middle of nowhere??) 

The mega bus was surprisingly nice and really easy to use.  I slept most of the way and around 11am we were deposited in Time's Square.  The moment I stepped off the bus the excitement of the city made me one happy camper.  I haven't been in NY (with the exception of for a few hours for work a few years ago) in ten years....I mean shit I couldn't event drink back then.

We quickly checked into our hotel; Manfriend booked us a really cool room in times square. I am lucky.  The room was gorgeous I loved it and am sad i forgot to take any pics in the actual room.  Here is the lobby though:



We got changed, and headed to the nearest bar, shocker I know, for some drinks and lunch.  After that we made moves over to MOMA, a museum I have been itching to go to since before I even started working in museums.  It did not disappoint.  Even manfriend loved it.  We spent several hours taking it all in.

After that we headed over to NBC studios and took the studio tour.  I loved it. I got to watch Kenan Thompson practicing for SNL!  One of my dreams is to watch a live taping of SNL, we tried this visit with no luck, but mark my words it will happen.

Next, we walked around Rockefeller Center for a bit, it was lightly snowing, people were ice skating, the flags were blowing...serious perfection.  I was in heaven.

By this point, we both needed drinks, so we headed back to the hotel got gussied up and went to have a few beers before our dinner reservation.  Naturally the bartender decided he loved manfriend and gave us free shots of Jameson, so much for keeping the evening classy.  I had literally just commenting to manfriend after watching a guy order a round, that shots before 9 pm is always a recipe for disaster.  But I also don't believe in turning down free whiskey so naturally I downed that shot. 

We then headed over to Mesa for dinner, that is one of Bobby Flay's restaurants;  I am obsessed with the food network, also my manfriend and I like to think we are rich so we decided to go.  Our reservation was late which meant we had to suffer through the most amazing margaritas of our lives at the bar while waiting for our table.  White peach margarita from Mesa-do it.

By dinner I was pretty well wasted, but the food helped me to sober up a tad.  I ordered an eggplant stuffed chili relano, it was hands down incredible.

(This photo doesn't do any justice, but keep in mind I was 2 beers, 1 shot, and 1 1/2 margaritas in by now)

Manfriend has an old high school buddy who is a DJ in New York, we didn't make plans to meet him, because we don't really like plans, but we decided after dinner to head to the bar he was playing at and surprise him.  He was so excited to see my bf, it had been years.  I am always excited to meet someone new and he was quite a delight.  After way too many drinks at the bar he was DJing, he took us to a bar in Brooklyn.  Mind you it was 2am at this point and I was hammered so going back to the hotel would have been the wise choice.  I am nothing if not unwise though.  Honestly I don't really recall much from this bar, or the one I am told we went to after, or the cab ride back to Manhattan which I am told I slept through.  I do know that I had a blast.

I know that I had a blast based on how shitty I felt when I woke up Saturday morning.  I pretty much wanted to die and threw up in our super stylish hotel bathroom multiple times.  What a class act I am.

Once I stopped wanting to die we spent Saturday romping around Central Park, eating pasta, and people watching.  Around 6 we went back to the room so I could change into a skirt and heels (it was 20 degrees and icy out after all).  We enjoyed some Thai food for dinner (I consumed nothing but noodles all day thanks to my bastard of a hangover).  After dinner we went to a comedy club for drinks and a show.  Of the 5 comics I cannot pick a favorite.  I laughed my ass off.  We went to one more bar after the show, then called it a night at midnight....this is how I planned Friday night to go as well, I always have intentions of being a grown up and not drinking my body weight in alcohol; it just doesn't usually happen. 


Sunday, we woke up feeling amazing and refreshed.  Grabbed a quick bagel for breakfast, then got on the subway and headed to the 9/11 memorial.  After that we made our way to Chinatown to search for a pet Mogwai.  We didn't find any, but I did see a lot of weird shit and smelled a lot of strange fish smells.  I  don't think I would not like Chinatown in August.


Despite all the strange dried fish and odd scents of Chinatown, I still wanted sushi, and manfriend treated me to a wonderful lunch in a great place called Blue Ribbon sushi.  Totally top notch.

We walked around SOHO, Greenwich Village, and Hells Kitchen.  Not for any particular reason other than I had heard of all those neighborhoods.  A few beers later we had to make our way to the bus lot to head home.  I honestly kind of want to move and just be apartment poor and live there forever, but for now I am back in Maryland.

No comments: