Wednesday, March 5, 2014

this one time in Denver...

It just dawned on me I never shared the deets of the shitshow that was my recent job interview/mother daughter vacation.

I also just realized I haven't posted a picture in a post in like 34 years. #bloggeroftheyear. (Does my hashtag usage make up for it?? I hope so)

Anyway, I figured I would dazzle your minds with my travel tales even though it is a few weeks late.

I was given no choice on the date of my job interview, there was only one date that they were interviewing so I had very little options in terms of when I went out to Denver. It just so happened the interview date was just 2 days before the start of my mother/daughter vacation with Big Sandy. There is no way I was going to pass up a free vacation or the opportunity to get drunk with my mom, so I worked things out so I could do both. Keep in mind I live in the middle of nowhere so selecting an airport is never easy. The closest is 80 minutes away....that's a lot of minutes.

The plan:

Fly from Baltimore to Denver on Tuesday (with a long ass layover in Dallas because I booked a cheap flight on Spirit).

Arrive in Denver Tuesday night at 5pm.

Have interview Wednesday morning.

Fly back to Baltimore Wednesday evening (with a short layover in Vegas), arrive in Baltimore at 7am Thursday.

Fly from Richmond to Austin, Texas to meet my mom on Friday morning.

What actually happened:

The Baltimore airport is 2 hours and some change from my house, it was cold as shit and I had to be up at about 5am to make it on time, this is my airport look:

 
I arrived in Dallas for my four hour layover only to learn it was now a six hour layover! This is how I spent my time at the airport:

 
I finally arrived in Denver after 17 hours of total travel time. This was the car they let me drive at the rent-a-car.:


I had hives on my arms and did not sleep a wink as a result of my nerves begin shot before my interview.

They told me they would be in touch within a week regarding my status. Here is my I need a drink look:


Luckily I have a childhood friend living in Denver. We hadn't seen each other in 8 years, but wound up having the best time. It was not awkward at all as a result of including a fair amount of alcohol in our reunion. This is us romping around Denver:

 
I arrived in Denver late Tuesday and had to leave Wednesday afternoon, it was my first time there. This view sold it for me. Sorry it is blurry, but I was driving that giant Jeep for crying out loud. I know I am going to love this view.
 
 
I set out to return the rental car with only 65 minutes before my flight time. You know how they tell you to arrive two hours before your flight? I always ignore that. I get to rent-a-car world and the nice lady tells me I better fill the tank or they will charge me $9 a gallon! I whip out of there and fill the tank at the closest station. I am in such a rush, I actually spray some gas on the ground (Zoolander what!) I go back to rent-a-car land and get on the little shuttle. Somehow I make it to my gate in time.
 
I step off the plane in Vegas for my short layover. I look at the screen to see what gate I need and SURPRISE!! My flight is canceled.
 
ok, this is getting long as shit, come back tomorrow and hear the rest. There is mention of my underwear so you know it's a good time!!

6 comments:

Jordan said...

Oh hey thanks for leaving us hanging! I'll be back for part dos manana. Intrigued by the mention of underwear but really coming back to hear how drunk you got after your cancelled flight.

Kerry @ Till Then Smile Often said...

Rut Roh! No bueno. I have a feeling cocktails are involved on part two?!

Kathy@MoreCoffeeLessTalky said...

i'm glad that things kind of went well in denver (meeting up with friend etc) but sucky flight bullshit that was going on.

write part 2 already!!

-kathy
Vodka and Soda

Tiffany Khyla said...

Omg. You can't just end in Vegas! Ah! Traveling is so fun, but it stresses me out if I'm by myself. At least you got to see an old friend though! I love when you don't see someone for a long time and you catch up like no time has passed. If I get awkward, I just drink more wine.

Miss Riss said...

Hahaha, I like how you try and get us to come back, "there's mention of my underwear"...Lolz!!!

SMD @ lifeaccordingtosteph said...

Travel woes suck it and seriously $9 a gallon? Aholes.